Ride Quality Improvement - Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 Old 01-21-2013, 10:50 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: India
Drives i10 1.2 VTVT AT
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
d_himan is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Ride Quality Improvement

Hi, I find the ride quality of my 2011 i10 to be irritatingly bumpy, especially in India where I come from (more potholes than roads). At slightly higher speeds, it feels downright nervous with too much bobbing.

The tyres fitted here are 155/80 R13 on steel rims. One popular upgrade is 175/70 R13 or 185/60 R14 on alloys. However, while high speed confidence is better with the upgrade, the ride quality is still middling.

I understand that with this short a wheelbase, choppiness is to be expected.

But are there any workarounds? Any luck with after market suspension (say, Tein)?
d_himan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 01-22-2013, 09:21 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ayr
Drives Hyundai i10
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ton123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Before buying my Hyundai Active a few months ago I drove a few city cars, Ford Ka, Toyota Aygo, Kia Picanto and for me the Hyudai had the best ride quality of them all.
Ton123 is offline  
#3 Old 01-23-2013, 11:49 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: India
Drives i10 1.2 VTVT AT
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
d_himan is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ton123 View Post
Before buying my Hyundai Active a few months ago I drove a few city cars, Ford Ka, Toyota Aygo, Kia Picanto and for me the Hyudai had the best ride quality of them all.
Well, at the I10 Automatic price point in India, the competition is significantly better in ride quality.

The Ford Figo (unique to the Indian market) - almost a big car ride
The Chevy Beat - surprisingly mature
Suzuki Swift - better ride and handling
Suzuki Ritz - ditto -
VW Polo 1.2 - you would know
Nissan Micra/Renault Pulse - better
Tata Indica Vista - outstanding heavy duty suspension

To me, this bumpy ride quality, especially at the rear, is irritant #1. Really wish there's a solution.
d_himan is offline  
#4 Old 01-23-2013, 05:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: UK
i10 Active Auto.
Posts: 511
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
oldstan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Well, at the I10 Automatic price point in India, the competition is significantly better in ride quality.

The Ford Figo (unique to the Indian market) - almost a big car ride
The Chevy Beat - surprisingly mature
Suzuki Swift - better ride and handling
Suzuki Ritz - ditto -
VW Polo 1.2 - you would know
Nissan Micra/Renault Pulse - better
Tata Indica Vista - outstanding heavy duty suspension

To me, this bumpy ride quality, especially at the rear, is irritant #1. Really wish there's a solution.
Why did you buy it?
oldstan is offline  
#5 Old 01-25-2013, 01:00 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: India
Drives i10 1.2 VTVT AT
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
d_himan is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstan View Post
Why did you buy it?
good question! My wife wanted a small Auto for ease of city driving in 2011. Only two options in the Indian market then - i10 and the Suzuki A-Star (called Alto in the UK). i10 was easily the better of the two, better build quality, more spacious. Automatics aren't popular in India as yet in this class of car, since fuel efficiency is deemed to be extremely critical and antiquated ATs like these perform significantly poorer compared to MT.

Honda Brio has just come up with it's AT as has Suzuki with it's Ritz (Splash in the UK). No one else offers an Automatic in this segment.

So, well, would I make the same choice now? While it's a great little car with decent quality, I've had to take it twice to the dealership to re-flash the ECU. And the driving dynamics are iffy - the ride is choppy nor is the handling very confidence inspiring.

Anyway, looks like no one around here's really tinkered around with the suspension of this car as yet.
d_himan is offline  
#6 Old 01-25-2013, 05:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: UK
i10 Active Auto.
Posts: 511
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
oldstan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
good question! My wife wanted a small Auto for ease of city driving in 2011. Only two options in the Indian market then - i10 and the Suzuki A-Star (called Alto in the UK). i10 was easily the better of the two, better build quality, more spacious. Automatics aren't popular in India as yet in this class of car, since fuel efficiency is deemed to be extremely critical and antiquated ATs like these perform significantly poorer compared to MT.

Honda Brio has just come up with it's AT as has Suzuki with it's Ritz (Splash in the UK). No one else offers an Automatic in this segment.

So, well, would I make the same choice now? While it's a great little car with decent quality, I've had to take it twice to the dealership to re-flash the ECU. And the driving dynamics are iffy - the ride is choppy nor is the handling very confidence inspiring.

Anyway, looks like no one around here's really tinkered around with the suspension of this car as yet.
All noted....thanks for detailed reply.

Looks like your stuffed then. Shame. Only upside of the torque converter box might be it should be more robust than the automated manuals which are more economical.

Is there any point in pursuing the most comfortable make of tyre, or increasing the profile size to give you a taller, more flexible, sidewall? I changed my standard size 175/60/14 to 165/65/14 'All Season Goodyear Vector 4Seasons' and I don't consider the car to be overly uncomfortable given the size of it.

Not many owners are going to mess with their suspension settings on this sort of car. Too staid and doesn't appeal to youngsters. And most are still under the 5 year warraty in the UK

Incidentally my latest tankful was 32mpg.
oldstan is offline  
#7 Old 01-27-2013, 02:32 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: India
Drives i10 1.2 VTVT AT
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
d_himan is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstan View Post

Looks like your stuffed then. Shame. Only upside of the torque converter box might be it should be more robust than the automated manuals which are more economical.
Well yes, I need to start peacefully cohabiting with the i10! I agree, the AT box is quite hardy - I regularly see 7-10 year old Hyundai Santros (older Atoz) running great in horrendous city conditions with essentially the same box.

In fact, I also add Lubegard Red into my transmissions to ensure the heat build-up is lower, especially in my dreadful city commute (a thing I picked up from the US Honda Accord owners)

There's only that irritating low RPM lugging issue which keeps surfacing every 10 or 11 months until a reflash cures it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstan View Post
Is there any point in pursuing the most comfortable make of tyre, or increasing the profile size to give you a taller, more flexible, sidewall? I changed my standard size 175/60/14 to 165/65/14 'All Season Goodyear Vector 4Seasons' and I don't consider the car to be overly uncomfortable given the size of it.
Yup - will be upgrading to Michelins - 175/70 R13s on the stock steelies. Hopefully, a bit of an improvement. The car is ok on smooth paved roads oldstan. But throw in a couple of potholes, undulations, broken tarmac and it bobs all over the place - maybe the suspension settings are less stiff in India and cause a lot of wallowing.

I was in Italy sometime back and had driven a Panda. I was surprised by how much more plusher the ride was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstan View Post
Not many owners are going to mess with their suspension settings on this sort of car. Too staid and doesn't appeal to youngsters. And most are still under the 5 year warraty in the UK

Incidentally my latest tankful was 32mpg.
You're right - this car is a practical choice for practical folks and nobody would risk voiding the generous warranty terms! Hence, not many after-market alternatives.

My mileage varies from 23 to 28 mpg. The average speed in the mornings is around 15 mph for a 8 mile commute!
d_himan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome