Been driving new i10SE 1.0 for 300 miles, early thoughts! - Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Drives Hyundai i10 SE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Howardfh is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Been driving new i10SE 1.0 for 300 miles, early thoughts!

Bought from a dealer for just over 8k with 10 miles, must have been ex-display! Really, really pleased with it, very easy to get in and out which is helpful for my mum and dad, doing 40+ MPG (done both road and m/way) and enjoying the free AA cover, which I hope never gets used! 1litre is perfectly sufficient for my needs, boy racer I am not!
Disappointments are (1) hasn't got a DAB radio which should be standard by now - no bother as I simply connect a Roberts to the audio input, and the USB input more than makes up for the lack of DAB and (2) the headlights are a bit weak. Think it's easy enough to pop down to a garage or Halfords to upgrade. Anyone done that?
Future plans are as this is the morning blue edition (ie bluey-grey, let's be honest!!) I may look for an 1 or 1.2 passion red with red interior in the autumn or early 2018 - hiopefully some demos or showroom ex-displays will be available.
Is it possible (and easy) for an outside fitter to upgrade the speakers, maybe even install an extra pair in the rear? Anyone have experience with an i10 of doing that?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 06:02 AM

i10 2nd Gen 2015 1.2 Premium - 2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 Tid 150bhp
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
frupi is an unknown quantity at this point
Howardfh, hi, and a very warm welcome and I hope you enjoy the forum!

I don't know about the speakers, only what's been posted here: Speaker upgrade

As for installing rear speakers, could be a total faff, but with some thinking, it can be done. Personally, I'd start by actually swapping out the rear door cards if you have no speaker grilles already incorporated at the factory to save any issues with cutting. If the speaker grilles are already there but there's just no speaker or wires, then just go for the speaker, but obviously you have the faff of running wires.

hyundai i10 new shape 2014 on, n/s rear door card | eBay

HYUNDAI i10 FACELIFT DRIVER OFF SIDE REAR DOOR SPEAKER 96300-0X110

I couldn't find a nearside door speaker, but I'm sure they pop up on the bay from time to time.

As for DAB, you could consider something like this, but I'd definitely go for professional fit:

AUTORADIO DVD/GPS/NAVI/DAB*/RADIO/ANDROID 5.1 For HYUNDAI I10 2013-2017 A7019 | eBay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Drives Hyundai i10 SE
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for that and the warm welcome, don't think I'll bother with the extra speakers - especially if I change to red within 18 months. The radio unit is interesting, but I don't need GPS, android etc, basically paying for stuff I don't need :-( But thanks for the info, would consider that if I decide to keep the i10 beyond 12-18 months.

The Roberts DAB does the job, the dashboard is reasonably flat to hold it - although a non-slippy dashboard mat would come in handy!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 01:34 PM

Drives: Hyundai i10 1.0 SE 2015 model
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
bob4584 is an unknown quantity at this point
A solution to the dashboard problem, and a more permanent fitting can be achieved by the addition of a Pure Highway 400, which has a neat kit powered by a USB charger, and plugs into the 3.5mm Jack of the existing radio. The control unit can be mounted above the dash, and the main antenna/control unit fits onto the inside of the windscreen.

Highway 400 - In-car DAB Audio Adapter | Pure

for 30 more you get bluetooth car kit as part of the installation:
Highway 600 - In-car DAB Audio Adapter | Pure

I have the 400 installed in the car, it took about 30 minutes to install and holds a DAB signal very well.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:41 PM

Hyundai Getz 1.5 CRD (D4FA)
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
AUTOSPARK is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by frupi View Post
As for DAB, you could consider something like this, but I'd definitely go for professional fit:

AUTORADIO DVD/GPS/NAVI/DAB*/RADIO/ANDROID 5.1 For HYUNDAI I10 2013-2017 A7019 | eBay
Only that unit doesn't have a DAB receiver. The DAB adapter is an additional 50 so you'd be as well buying a DAB adapter for the factory radio.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 05:50 AM

Drives new VW Golf MK7 Match Edition 1.4TSI BMT. Have just bought a Hyundai i10 SE 1.2 as second car
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
HHGTTG is an unknown quantity at this point
Maybe I don't see the full picture from a purely selfish perspective but what is so special about DAB radio. Admittedly my new Golf has it but the only other station I have a preset tuned into is the new Talk Radio UK station not available on FM. For my needs all the other stations I need are on FM. I have always looked at the other 'stations' offered by DAB and to me, they seem to be all noisy music ones and of no interest to myself or my partner.

Hyundai i10 1.2 SE in Sleek Silver.
Really belongs to her, indoors!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 06:31 AM

Hyundai Getz 1.5 CRD (D4FA)
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
AUTOSPARK is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHGTTG View Post
what is so special about DAB radio.
Nothing. In fact it's rubbish...unless you live in the city. Once your outside the city it doesn't work. At least, not up here in Scotland.

I've been asked by a few folk to supply & fit DAB adapters and I'm reluctant to take the jobs on because the DAB infrastructure is so poor (up here, at least) that the signal just disappears once your out of the city and I don't want my customers thinking I've sold them crap gear. But the aftermarket systems I've fitted haven't been any worse than the much more expensive factory fitted VW systems I've had experience with (I was a VW tech). I hope things are better for you guys down south.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Drives Hyundai i10 SE
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHGTTG View Post
what is so special about DAB radio.
Test Match Special - my i10 doesn't have radio 4 LW (do any models at this level have LW?) - and local football commentary which is often different from the FM frequency (ie in Greater Manchester). Also round these parts, the stations providing music on FM are all so dull there are better alternatives on DAB such as Kisstory, and Gaydio on DAB where the FM signal can't reach.
Think the final FM straw for me up here was when Juice became Capital!
Must admit though, if I want music I simply use the USB port.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 10:29 AM

Somebloke is an unknown quantity at this point
DAD stations I listen to not on FM: Talksport, Share Radio, BBC 5 Live.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
DrNick is an unknown quantity at this point
At the top of the forum there's a sticky thread on how to change the headlamp bulbs, with instructions. You have to remove/loosen the headlamp assembly but its quite straightforward. Bulbs like Night breakers work well. Do a search for comparisons between different bulbs and take your pick.
Howardfh likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.