Hyundai Forums banner

Whirring Motor Noise

42K views 79 replies 43 participants last post by  martint123 
#1 ·
Since I've had my i10 I've noticed what I can only describe as an intermittent whirring, servo kind of noise behind the dashboard. It sounds like it whirrs, makes a correction and whirrs again and carries on doing this. I only really notice it when the car's stationary, at traffic lights and such but it is starting to become an annoyance. Just wondered if this is normal or if I should take the car in.

#2 ·
Dear John,

Get a friend to ride in your i10 with you. What you are describing sounds like a failing bearing in the blower fan.
The bearings may be worn in the electric motor itself, or in the blower fan. It could also be a leaf that was sucked in and is partially contacting the rotating squirrel cage.

That is where you need the friend. Their ears can confirm the location behind the dashboard, and they can poke their head down under the dashboard to try to localize the noise.

You as the driver should not poke your head under the dashboard with the vehicle in motion.

Byron

#3 ·
Hi,

If it sounds like an occassional whirring sound, it is more than likely the motors for the headlamp adjustment,
try adjusting them using the switch to see if the noise is the same, this may also cure the problem at the same time, if not , a visit to the dealer may be in order to get the fault cured
please let me kow how you get on

Trev

#5 ·
It sounds like the headlight adjustment motors may have a design/manufacturing fault. My i10 has the same problem, the whirring I get is only when the engine has warmed through, on the near side and only seams to be after I've stopped. Not all the time, intermittently and varying in loudness, very strange! Moving the headlight adjustment really makes it whirr.

#8 ·
I own an i10 classic since 2008 and have had the same problem since new. Normally lasts only a few seconds then disappears.

The "whirring" is intermittent. I have even had it with the engine off (ignition on) - does this help with the diagnosis?

I've not taken it to the garage yet as they will want to hear it. Sod's law it won't make a noise when I go to the garage!

Any ideas?

#9 ·
Sounds very much like it's headlight adjusters. The old Honda Civic had similar issues which were a pain to sort. You may find tapping/knocking (not too hard!) on the lights triggers in, or driving over bumps. The adjusters should be replaced, there's a good chance they're an integral part of the headlamps though so the entire unit may need replacing.

#10 ·
Thanks.

From reading the thread it sounds like we all have the issue with the headlamp adjusters then. The fact I've heard it with the engine off (ignition on) seems to confirm this.

I'll now have to convince the garage. They'll want to hear the noise, which is hard when it is intermittent!

Guess I'll need to wait until it's on their official list of 'known i10 issues'. However, anyone have any feedback from their Hyundai garage on this issue yet?

#11 ·
The only other whirring thing I can think it might be (which my car suffers from) is the fuel pump/injection system which can make a disconcerting noise when priming/after turning the car off, this is normal though. There's the cooling fan(s) but those should be obvious (look under the bonnet ;) )

As always, pop the bonnet and look and listen, you should be able to tell quite easily if it's coming from the headlights. Oh and at night of course you can check if the adjusters are working by watching if the light pattern dips/rises in response to the switch, don't be alarmed if the light pattern isn't uniform, the left hand light (in the UK) often has a higher diagonal cut off.

#12 ·
My I10 is 2 months old and I've also started to notice this servo noise. I listened for a while this morning with the engine running, and it sounds like two different servos intermittently re-adjusting. It's not the door mirrors, so I guess it must be something to do with the headlamps.

#13 ·
QUOTE (stan_lee @ Nov 9 2009, 01:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=276906
My I10 is 2 months old and I've also started to notice this servo noise. I listened for a while this morning with the engine running, and it sounds like two different servos intermittently re-adjusting. It's not the door mirrors, so I guess it must be something to do with the headlamps.

I have headed a servo noise and found out that it was the lights adjusting. If you move the switch that moves them it should stop.

#15 ·
Add me to the list of the self-moving headlights, its very intermittent and only noticeable when the car is still and pointing at a wall, only then i notice. Still it’s a new car with ‘that’ warranty so its gong to Hyundai to hopefully get this fixed, and the seatbelt squeak and a noise coming from the rear over rough bumps- exhaust maybe?

#16 ·
#17 ·
Me too! It's definitely the headlight motors, and whilst playing with the switch stops it, it still comes back every other day or so. Clearly a fault and one I will get fixed - the longer it's left the more damage will be doen to both the headlights and the motors so I wont leave it long

#18 ·
Popped into the garage on Friday with the same fault and saw the storeman while waiting, he said they had a few like that and it was usually the adjuster switch which he replaced there and then took about ten minutes in all and we haven't had a noise since friday.

#19 ·
Thought I'd update everyone as it's a while since I posted!

I got the headlamp adjuster switch changed. Worked for a while then came back (suprise suprise).

Went in for a 2nd time end of last year. Garage replaced the complete headlamp 'adjuster mechanism' behind the lamps (sorry can't remember the techy name) for both front lights. This was now (almost!) completely eliminated the noise. What i found is that putting the adjuster to position '2' rather that at the end stop (1 or 4?) has eliminated the noise (don't ask me why). Had this 'fix' for about 2 months now.

#21 ·
It would appear that next to the disappointing mpg and shuddering clutch problems, this is one of the most widely reported common fault.

I too experienced the headlight whirring noise and the associated movements of the headlights going up and down by themselves. At first I thought it was a feature I wasn't aware of - self levelling headlights. But no, after reading all the threads on this I came to the conclusion I shared a common (albeit minor) fault with many, many others.

Moving the levelling switch off the 0 mark will cure the problem. However, it will also lower the headlight beam if you leave it set to 1. To avoid this, set the switch to the 0 mark, then rotate it slowly towards the 1 mark - BUT stop short of the 1, so the knob is somewhere inbetween 0 and 1. I have found this stops the whirring noise, but also leaves the headlights at the 0 levelling height.

Good luck

Ed

#22 ·
QUOTE (ramshackler @ Feb 11 2010, 10:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=296987
sorry if im being a bit dense, but i have this noise, and will try out this 'fix' tomorrow, but does this work even when the headlights are off? as i get this noise at all times even during broad daylight when i would assume the headlights are not in use
I have the same problem and yes the adjuster works without the lights being switched on. You can check this by turning the ignition on, no need to start the engine and then moving the adjuster switch. You will hear the headlight motors whirring away. Just touching the switch on mine not even rotating it gets a 'quick whirr' from the headlight motors.

#23 ·
QUOTE (theoldape @ Feb 12 2010, 11:23 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=297142
I have the same problem and yes the adjuster works without the lights being switched on. You can check this by turning the ignition on, no need to start the engine and then moving the adjuster switch. You will hear the headlight motors whirring away. Just touching the switch on mine not even rotating it gets a 'quick whirr' from the headlight motors.
Hyundai are aware of this which is a fault with the adjuster but they are waiting for a new component to be designed to stop the problem. Mine has been on order for a few weeks now and called last week but they are still not in stock. I suggest you get in touch with the dealer to be put on the list for when they arrive in as there will be a few!!! I've also got the annoying crackly radio hence looking for a fix on this forum?? Anyone found one yet??

#24 ·
QUOTE (Nodster @ Feb 22 2010, 10:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=299455
Hyundai are aware of this which is a fault with the adjuster but they are waiting for a new component to be designed to stop the problem. Mine has been on order for a few weeks now and called last week but they are still not in stock. I suggest you get in touch with the dealer to be put on the list for when they arrive in as there will be a few!!! I've also got the annoying crackly radio hence looking for a fix on this forum?? Anyone found one yet??

Hi Nodster, :00000732: to the forum.

Out of curiosity, where did you get your info about adjuster, from you dealer or the internet?

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.