Hyundai Forums banner

New To Forum, Problems With 2001 Xg 300

9K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  sheraz80 
#1 ·
Hi,

My 2001 XG 300 began shaking and jerking like it was going to stop running. I took it to a local repair shop who told me it brought up these codes P115901191 and 1193 and that I would have to take the car to a dealer to find out what the codes mean.

It also needs a power steering pump.

I cannot afford an expensive repair. I have not been able to drive the car since March, and since it is my family's only vehicle, it has been quite inconvenient!

Does anyone know what these codes mean, and is it something I might be able to fix myself or without the high cost of a dealer?

I am a woman, I have no tools for working on my car. My Dad was a mechanic and I used to be able to tune up my car waaaay back in the 70's. The engine on my XG looks so strange!

Any suggestions? Thanks!

#2 ·
1159=variable induction system
1191=ets limp home valve on
1193=ets limp home-low rpm

these codes dont really mean much by them selves, its just telling you that your rpms were dropping for an unknown reason. so it turned on the limp home valve so to keep the engine running. From my experience things that cause low rpms on XG's are...
sticking open egr purge control solenoid causing the egr to open when it's not supposed to
bad vacuum check valve also for the egr both witch are located on the top rear area of the intake manifold. You can try replacing both of these if you want. But this is only if your car was jerking while at a stop. IF it did it while accelerating then it would be a misfire condition. Since you did'nt say when it happens i'm gonna assume it does this while at a stop.
Hope this helps, and yes even a woman could replace these. The solenoid is held by a 10mm nut and the check valve is a just clipped on and they are connected together by vacuum lines. And they should'nt be too expensive. And I'll say this again "this is only if it acts up at idle or at a stop.

QUOTE (sureynot @ Jun 28 2009, 07:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=245153
Hi,

My 2001 XG 300 began shaking and jerking like it was going to stop running. I took it to a local repair shop who told me it brought up these codes P115901191 and 1193 and that I would have to take the car to a dealer to find out what the codes mean.

It also needs a power steering pump.

I cannot afford an expensive repair. I have not been able to drive the car since March, and since it is my family's only vehicle, it has been quite inconvenient!

Does anyone know what these codes mean, and is it something I might be able to fix myself or without the high cost of a dealer?

I am a woman, I have no tools for working on my car. My Dad was a mechanic and I used to be able to tune up my car waaaay back in the 70's. The engine on my XG looks so strange!

Any suggestions? Thanks!

#5 ·
air flow sensor could be it but the only way to clean it is to remove the 2 security torx screws then pull out the electrical part of it and use electrical parts cleaner in an aresol can. It sometimes works. It also may be related to your electronic throttle system (ETS). this wont be easy to fix. And maybe by now your check engine light will have more codes stored in it.

#6 ·
Following on the other comments
The induction system is the air intake designed to bring in cold air.
The MAF (mass air flow sensor) is expensive ... about $200. Very doubtful that is the problem but if you wanna try something.
But you can try to clean it without special tools. Buy some MAF cleaner from an auto parts store (don't use other cleaners as the sensor is very picky).
This is located between the air filter and the throttle body. Just unclamp the hoses (probably just phillips head screw driver).
Do not take apart the sensor housing. You can see the sensor thru the grid (looks like a little block with a resistor in it).
Spray like crazy on it.

The next thing mentioned was the electronic throttle system (ETS). The easiest, lowest cost thing to do here is to remove the throttle from the car (4 bolts and a bunch of wires and maybe a coolant line). Buy some throttle body cleaner spray and get a rag and thoroughly clean out all of the carbon on the butterfly value and the inside of the throttle body.

The actual code does not directly relate to either of these
Variable Intake Motor Malfunction

there is a service bulletin on that code P1159
http://www.hmaservice.com/local_viewer/def...p;title_num=331
I also attached the TSB if you can't get the link to come up.

Best of luck, let us know.

Attachments

#7 ·
I have not yet attempted any repair. My poor little car is just sitting in the garage, and it no longer starts. I need to stop being so apprehensive and just dive in.

We have basic tools. I am wondering if I need any specialized tools to work on my XG300. I also want to attempt to tune it up. Where can I find instructions to perform a tune-up? My son took a cover off the engine in an attempt to get to the spark plugs, but he was not sure how to get to them. Any help would be appreciated.

#8 ·
Just a thought...

Most problems with automatic transmission are cause simply because people never change the fluid and drive it with the original fluid until it won't go anymore.

How many miles are on your XG?
When is the last time the fluid was changed?
What is the condition of the fluid?

I would suspect you could do a world of good by simply having a fluid change.

My second point is...

XGs had a problem with the power steering fluid line couplings leaking. Why do you need a new power steering pump? Did they show you where it was leaking? I suspect you probably don't need a pump at all, you need a new fluid line.

#9 ·
QUOTE (sureynot @ Sep 10 2009, 12:46 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=262588
We have basic tools. I am wondering if I need any specialized tools to work on my XG300. I also want to attempt to tune it up. Where can I find instructions to perform a tune-up? My son took a cover off the engine in an attempt to get to the spark plugs, but he was not sure how to get to them. Any help would be appreciated.
I wouldn't worry about the tune up until I got the transmission fixed first. Then I'd do more investigating on the power steering leak before I just paid someone to fix it.

The front spark plugs are not so bad, but the ones in the rear require taking off the intake to get to them.

#10 ·
I have to agree on the PS pump. It may just be the pressure hose. I had one mechanic tell me I needed a whole new rack and pinion steering gear, and another tell me it was the power steering pump. Thanks to some internet searches I learned it was likely the hose. When I replaced it, all the leaks and steering problems went away.

#12 ·
Its worth a shot, but when I had these three codes, the cause was a blown fuse in the underhood fuse box by the air filter. I think it was fuse 14. It powers the front O2 sensor and the ETS motor. A sticky ETS motor can blow this fuse and cause limp mode to activate with no other codes. As I learned, A shorted O2 sensor from a collision can blow this fuse also. If fuse is blown, take off the ETS motor and clean out the throttle body. Replace fuse. Then re-initialize the system by turning the key to on and then right back to off and listen for the ETS motor to cycle through its ranges, one minute later you can start up and drive.

#13 ·
I am new in this forum. I just bought new xg30 1999 with 62000 KM. I am having following problems,

When I turn AC on in Neutral or Parking, RPM are fine but as I shift Drive or Reverse then engine starts shaking and RPM dance between 400 to 900 and it seems like engine will turn off. But if I again shift to Neutral or Parking it will come again to normal.

Miss fire happens most of the time when I drive from stop and even at higher speed. It seems like I can not even get high RPM properly putting paddle downwards and also engine has lake of power. But some times it is just normal and drive smoothly. (AC problem exists)

Check Engine Light is not on.

I will appreciate your help.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.