Advertisement

#2 Old 07-18-2010, 04:49 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

Drives: 2012 Elantra Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
lovemysantafe is an unknown quantity at this point
Car and Driver just road tested one in their July issue and I think it's governor limited to 130 mph.

- Andrew
'12 Elantra Limited w/Tech - 'Emma'
Titanium Gray / Gray Leather
Paid Off at 11:30 PM on 9.25.14!!

------------
R.I.P. Robin Williams - 1951-2014
"We had gay burglars the other night. They broke in and rearranged the furniture."
#3 Old 07-20-2010, 11:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wayne_Delbeke
QUOTE (lovemysantafe @ Jul 18 2010, 03:49 PM)
Quote:
Car and Driver just road tested one in their July issue and I think it's governor limited to 130 mph.

2009 Sante Fe is governor limited at 190 km/hr or about 118 mph.
#4 Old 07-27-2010, 09:06 PM

gameday22
QUOTE (lovemysantafe @ Jul 18 2010, 04:49 PM)
Quote:

I just watched a video on YouTube of a stock 2010 3.8L V6 Genesis Sedan going from 130km/h - 260km/h which is roughly [b]68.35 - 161.56MPH on a test track...[b]NOTE: This exceeds the tire manufacturers specified speed rating capabilities and I wouldn't suggest it even if you were on a test track.

I don't know how advanced the navigational system is on the Genesis but I do know that on certain vehicles the car is capable of knowing when it is on a race/test track vs. on the open road and adjusts the governor accordingly. On a few reputable car test sites I have read that the 3.8L V6 is governor limited to [b]144MPH on the [b]18" Dunlop wheels and to [b]125MPH on the [b]17" Dunlops. If the information on these sites is accurate it would mean that Hyundai set the governor to 5MPH below the tire manufacturer's specified speed rating for each tire size. The 18's are rated up to 149MPH and the 17's are rated to 130MPH.

All I can say is that my 3.8L V6 with just a few light modifications definitely gets up and hauls butt...especially when you use the manual shift mode to maximize the potential of each gear. I by far find my Genny to be a lot more exciting then the BMW and Mercedes I owned prior to becoming a Hyundai owner. I really enjoyed my Azera with the exception of the well noted suspension issues that seems to plague the majority of that line. In the Genesis so far it has been a rock solid performer and only time will tell how well the car holds up as far as fit and finish and overall workmanship of the vehicle is concerned.

I hope you all get as many good years at of your Genesis as I'm looking to get out of mine. Keep your vehicle properly cared and maintenance up to date and you should get quite a bit of miles out of her.

2010 Hyundai Genesis 3.8L Sedan in Sterling Blue Metallic (04) Technology Package (02) Premium Package; Air Blue 80 Window Tint, K&N Air Filter+Electric Super-Charger
#5 Old 03-25-2013, 09:59 AM

2003 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.7L V6
SantaSpeed is an unknown quantity at this point
Garage
2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6

The 2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8L sedan is governed to a top speed of 155mph.
When the governor is removed, the vehicle could manage upwards of near 170mph. (168mph has been reported to have been achieved)
However, with the tires that come on the vehicle, it is not safe to attempt this.
On the 17' wheels, 130 should be the absolute fastest ever attempted.
On the premium wheels, there is a rating of 149mph.
If you really want to push your Genny to the max, I suggest purchasing a set of tires with a 'V' rating. They will be able to manage high speed without too much of a risk of overheating and potentially bursting or shredding while in motion.

When you think about this vehicle, you just have to marvel at the fact that Hyundai has come this far. Hyundai used to be in the industry of solely making compact/smaller cars with minimal options and high MPGs.
But this vehicle competes with other luxury sedans such as Acura, BMW, and it bears a striking resemblance to many of today's Mercedes, even the Mercedes Maybach!
Of course though, this vehicle is not a $1,000,000 CEO office on wheels like the Maybach. But the Genesis is still just as loaded as any other Luxury vehicle and has that smooth yet sporty ride with a 0-60 time of less than 6 seconds!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.