SF 2.0T vs CX-9 - Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 Old 11-09-2012, 05:12 PM
Senior Member
 
angelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bay Area, California
2013 Santa Fe GLS AWD Leath+Techn, Red.
Posts: 672
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
angelo is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
SF 2.0T vs CX-9

I consider the CX-9 one of the top SUV out there regarding prompt sprint, handling, ride quality, comfort, room, etc...
I know the LWB would be more appropriate to compare vs Mazda CX-9.
In the meantime, has anyone compared them?
angelo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 11-09-2012, 06:12 PM
Senior Member
 
golfermack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Norfolk, MA
Drives 2006 Sonata Ltd. & 2013 Santa Fe Sport
Posts: 1,672
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
golfermack is an unknown quantity at this point
Have you compared them? If so, what did you find?
John
golfermack is offline  
#3 Old 11-09-2012, 06:45 PM
Senior Member
 
angelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bay Area, California
2013 Santa Fe GLS AWD Leath+Techn, Red.
Posts: 672
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
angelo is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfermack View Post
Have you compared them? If so, what did you find?
John
Two friend of mine have one... I never had a chance to drive a CX-9...
angelo is offline  
#4 Old 11-09-2012, 06:55 PM
Senior Member
 
golfermack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Norfolk, MA
Drives 2006 Sonata Ltd. & 2013 Santa Fe Sport
Posts: 1,672
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
golfermack is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo View Post
Two friend of mine have one... I never had a chance to drive a CX-9...
Have you had a chance to go online? You can learn a lot
about the two cars there. The web sites have pictures of exteriors, interiors, colors, dimensions, weights, engines, mpg, features/options, trim lines, warrantys, etc. about each car for you to compare.
John.
golfermack is offline  
#5 Old 11-09-2012, 07:40 PM
Senior Member
 
angelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bay Area, California
2013 Santa Fe GLS AWD Leath+Techn, Red.
Posts: 672
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
angelo is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfermack View Post
Have you had a chance to go online? You can learn a lot
about the two cars there. The web sites have pictures of exteriors, interiors, colors, dimensions, weights, engines, mpg, features/options, trim lines, warrantys, etc. about each car for you to compare.
John.
John,
I do a lot of research online and that is why I believe CX-9 is a good SUV, roomy, powerful, good mpg...
I have had a change to be in CX-9 as a passenger and I believe that promptness and handling are excellent. I have never been in it for a long trip though.
angelo is offline  
#6 Old 11-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NW Wisconsin
2013 Santa Fe 2.0T FWD Mineral Gray w/pop. eq. & leather , GMC truck
Posts: 729
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
7milesup is an unknown quantity at this point
The CX-9 gets 17/19/24. Not what I would call stellar MPG. I looked at it too but went with the Enclave which only has a 1 MPG worse rating but I felt the ride/fit/finish/interior room was better than the CX-9. I do like the exterior styling of the CX-9.

I don't quite understand the hangup about driving performance on a crossover. Who slings these things around corners? Maybe a Porsche Panamera would fit the bill.

Oh...and again today I saw a CX-5 driving down the road. As I looked down at it from my truck I heard two words screaming at me as it went by..... "Econo Box". You couldn't give me a CX-5 (well acutally you could but I would drive it over to the Hyundai dealer and trade it for a SF

Nothing against your choices Angelo...I'm just ranting a little in general here
7milesup is offline  
#7 Old 11-09-2012, 10:04 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Drives Santa Fe Sport 2.0T
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cary28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Before I purchased my 2013 SF 2.0T FWD last week, I considered the CX-9GT, CX-5GT, and Kio Sorrento. I test drove each model, as well as the 2.4L vs 2.0T, and settled on my current CUV. I really liked the CX-9, especially in GT trim. Unfortunately, I felt like I was in a boat when sitting inside it. Its huge, and has lots of tech toys in the GT version. But the deciding factor was the poor MPG as compared to the SF. I was in a MB R350, which was also a very long, wide, and large SUV, but doesn't feel that big. The CX-9 looks relatively small on the outside, but felt like a boat IMHO. Just a personal observation. It has really high ratings and positive feedback, but I just felt the SF was a modern design vs the CX-9's more dated, but still very nice design.
Cary28 is offline  
#8 Old 11-10-2012, 10:32 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: jacksonville, florida usa
Drives 2013 Santa Fe 2.0 T AWD
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
blackmamba is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7milesup View Post
The CX-9 gets 17/19/24. Not what I would call stellar MPG. I looked at it too but went with the Enclave which only has a 1 MPG worse rating but I felt the ride/fit/finish/interior room was better than the CX-9. I do like the exterior styling of the CX-9.

I don't quite understand the hangup about driving performance on a crossover. Who slings these things around corners? Maybe a Porsche Panamera would fit the bill.

Oh...and again today I saw a CX-5 driving down the road. As I looked down at it from my truck I heard two words screaming at me as it went by..... "Econo Box". You couldn't give me a CX-5 (well acutally you could but I would drive it over to the Hyundai dealer and trade it for a SF

Nothing against your choices Angelo...I'm just ranting a little in general here
Well, I , for one, love to " sling these things around corners ". I've been doing it for years in various modified Subaru Foresters. I drive this particular style of vehicle for very specific reasons. That doesn't mean that I have to forego crisp handling and a little excitement along the way.

As you might imagine, the parts and pieces to improve on the Sante Fe are pretty scarace now. I expect that situation will loosen up some...there are more folks like me out there than you might realize.

At the very least, I'll replace the anti-sway bars, put on some serious high-performance all-weather tires ( maybe different wheels, as well ) and, quite possibly, more capable shock/strut assemblies. There's no doubt that I'll increase turbo boost and go for some engine-management computer re-mapping. The boost controllers are available now and one big outfit is currently working on the re-mapping unit.

I'm not out to create a race car.....I've already got that. But I'm darn sure going to take this vehicle to a much higher level of overall performance....which in my case translates into a vehicle that is much more satisfying to drive.

I certainly realize that the average guy has no interest in doing what I will do. But perhaps they don't enjoy blasting through the mountain back roads like I do.
blackmamba is offline  
#9 Old 11-10-2012, 12:33 PM
Senior Member
 
angelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bay Area, California
2013 Santa Fe GLS AWD Leath+Techn, Red.
Posts: 672
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
angelo is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I absolutely enjoy the "sling" thing too. No need to push the vehicle to the limit to be able to enjoy the feeling. I do believe that CX-9 has an advantage in that particular area vs all SUV in that category. I wish the LWB will be equal (or better) than CX-9, at that point my decision will be really easy.
Also, I am considering the mods suggested by blackmamba very interesting.
angelo is offline  
#10 Old 11-11-2012, 09:25 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NW Wisconsin
2013 Santa Fe 2.0T FWD Mineral Gray w/pop. eq. & leather , GMC truck
Posts: 729
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
7milesup is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmamba View Post
Well, I , for one, love to " sling these things around corners ". I've been doing it for years in various modified Subaru Foresters. I drive this particular style of vehicle for very specific reasons. That doesn't mean that I have to forego crisp handling and a little excitement along the way.

As you might imagine, the parts and pieces to improve on the Sante Fe are pretty scarace now. I expect that situation will loosen up some...there are more folks like me out there than you might realize.

At the very least, I'll replace the anti-sway bars, put on some serious high-performance all-weather tires ( maybe different wheels, as well ) and, quite possibly, more capable shock/strut assemblies. There's no doubt that I'll increase turbo boost and go for some engine-management computer re-mapping. The boost controllers are available now and one big outfit is currently working on the re-mapping unit.

I'm not out to create a race car.....I've already got that. But I'm darn sure going to take this vehicle to a much higher level of overall performance....which in my case translates into a vehicle that is much more satisfying to drive.

I certainly realize that the average guy has no interest in doing what I will do. But perhaps they don't enjoy blasting through the mountain back roads like I do.
Sounds fun but as you point out you are "outside the norm" for average guy. Absolutely nothing wrong with that

I had a truck that was slightly lifted, chromed out, and my favorite part...Cat back exhaust system. Loved how it sounded when I was towing our boat. I want to do the same thing to my next truck and the wife asks me when I'm going to grow up - NEVER!

Doing what you guys do, I would afraid of scratching the new baby BTW...I do get to fly the jet every other week so that is my "slinging it around" fun.
7milesup is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome