Hyundai Forums banner

Fuel Level Sensor Question

101K views 103 replies 42 participants last post by  Mycrossover 
#1 ·
My Santa Fe fuel gauge is erratic, and now the check engine light is on also. After experiencing the problem this week and reading all of the forum entries I can find on here about fuel guage problems, I have a few questions.

1. Is replacing the right and left fuel tank level sensors a reasonable job at home for a guy who is mechanically inclined, has plenty of ventilated garage space and time during vacation to do it?

2. How expensive is the process for the dealer to do it on a vehicle out of warranty?

3. How expensive are the fuel level sensors themselves?

4. Are the fuel level sensors only available via the dealer?

Thanks for replying

#4 ·
QUOTE (Milkmaster @ Jun 19 2011, 11:13 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=463275
My Santa Fe fuel gauge is erratic, and now the check engine light is on also. After experiencing the problem this week and reading all of the forum entries I can find on here about fuel guage problems, I have a few questions.

1. Is replacing the right and left fuel tank level sensors a reasonable job at home for a guy who is mechanically inclined, has plenty of ventilated garage space and time during vacation to do it?

2. How expensive is the process for the dealer to do it on a vehicle out of warranty?

Thanks for replying
1. Dunno, but from what I've read on this site, looks like they come out through the access panel under the rear seat (no dropping of the tank) so shouldn't be too hard. Just be careful to not spill any fuel inside the car and ground yourself to avoid any sparks. Fuel will not ignite easily, fuel vapours will. Open all the doors and I would say wait to do it in a windy day to help take the fuel vapours away.

2. A call to your dealership should provide you with this answer

3. See #2

4. See #2

Sorry I can't help more.

#5 ·
QUOTE 1. Dunno, but from what I've read on this site, looks like they come out through the access panel under the rear seat (no dropping of the tank) so shouldn't be too hard. Just be careful to not spill any fuel inside the car and ground yourself to avoid any sparks. Fuel will not ignite easily, fuel vapours will. Open all the doors and I would say wait to do it in a windy day to help take the fuel vapours away.

I like you only know what I have read so far. I am hopeful I will receive a reply from someone who has actually made the repair more than just read about it. A few of the entries I read were from people who sounded like they could have been Hyundai service techs. HOwever, the threads were pretty old.

#7 ·
Im a amauter do it your selfer.

User your Vin number to get the right parts.

My son who is a mechanic and I looked up this info:

It takes 3 hours labor. I was quoted about $380 to replace it in The Garage he is employed.

The dealership from which the car was purchased wanted $600!!!

I looked up the cost on the 2 senders. They cost about $80 each at a dealer.

I have seen costs as low as $62 each on the internet.

The access to the senders are located under the 2nd row back seats. (No fuel tank removal)

The seats need to be removed - 4 bolts per seat.

There is carpeted covers with access ports below for the LH fuel pump/sender and RH sender.

The access covers need to be removed carefully - electrial lines are going through the access covers

The RH Passenger one is called the Sub Fuel Sender. (appears to be a single assembly/ unit)

On the LH unit with the fuel pump there is a proceedure to relieve fuel pressure requiring the disconection of the fuel pump harness(I think its the gray one) and turning on the vehicle unit lt stalls. Turn off the ignition and remove the key. There is no mention of disconnecting the battery.
There is also a pump pressure harness (Looks like the larger of the 2 harness)
MY son said that waiting 15 minutes should do the same thing to remove fuel pressure.

Both units require removal of the locking ring using a brass punch - to prevent damage to the locking rings and sparks

The fuel line quick disconnects and vaccum lines need to be removed.

The LH fuel sender is located under the fuel pump and pressure regulator assembly.
This entire assembly is taken out to get to the LH sender.

There is a fuel suction line connected at the bottom of both units that need disconnecting and reconnecting upon installation.

I would be very carefull to prevent spills(cover area inside car with plastic- plenty of ventielation - no smoking or anything electrical nearby at all)

We are going to try ito replace them this weekend since my wife 2007 Santa Fe has the problem. Verified with the trouble codes per my son.

I hope this helps

#9 ·
Wonderful report Bewisehm. PLease let us know how it turns out. Take some pictures if possible. Some of the same subject threads on here already show a few assemblies. I am cheering for your success to share with us here.

#10 ·
I forgot to add earlier...Since the time I started this thread, my wife's '07 Sante Fe has retunred to normal and the check engine light has went off. I suspect this condition is only temporary and fully expect the problem to resurface. Until then I will be collecting all the data possible. Did you computer error code tell you to replace them both or is that your own decision to do that while you are there for safe measure ? Thanks again for sharing

#11 ·
QUOTE (Milkmaster @ Jun 30 2011, 06:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=469632
Did you computer error code tell you to replace them both or is that your own decision to do that while you are there for safe measure ? Thanks again for sharing
Our resident Hyundai tech has mentioned on a couple of occasions that the code does not always correctly identify which sensor is at fault. He's had to go back in and replace the 'other' sensor more than once. That may have driven the decision.

#12 ·
Code for fuel level sensor circuit... REPLACE BOTH and be done with it.. you got to take both seats out either way.

You not going to fare well with brass punch.. there is actually a lock ring tool we have that catch 3 lugs on the ring to rotate it and release the modules from tank.

Do a search, I have a few pics posted here in the CM forum of the floor and where you need to go to get at them.

Local dealer if they any good should have a set on the shelf..

#16 ·
QUOTE (Milkmaster @ Jun 19 2011, 08:13 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=463275

Thanks for replying
Sorry, did you check with your warranty?
I had a similar problem with fuel gauge and it was fixed by the dealer with warranty: total $0.
AFAIK, they had to remove the fuel tank, empty it, replace some sensors...

#17 ·
Sorry, did you check with your warranty?
I had a similar problem with fuel gauge and it was fixed by the dealer with warranty: total $0.
AFAIK, they had to remove the fuel tank, empty it, replace some sensors...
MY Sante Fe is a 2007 with 51K miles. It only has the drive train warranty left if I am reading the manual correctly. So the answer is NO I have not asked the dealer. Maybe I should call them.

#59 ·

MY Sante Fe is a 2007 with 51K miles. It only has the drive train warranty left if I am reading the manual correctly. So the answer is NO I have not asked the dealer. Maybe I should call them.
I realize this post is ancient......but just wanted to correct it (if no one else has in the last three years!)

The tank does NOT get removed......even by the dealer.
They go in through the "trap doors" on the top of the tank in the back seat.

#18 ·
QUOTE (Milkmaster @ Jul 6 2011, 09:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=471988

5yr / 60,000 on the MIL/fuel level sensor concern.. take it in and let Hyundai give you some parts and labor.. you'll likely need to leave car for day..

#19 ·
I should receive the car back today. We found out it has 19 days left onthe warranty. Bought it 27th of July 2006 as a new 2007. One of the first of the new body style off the line it would seem. Anyway, saved me a ton of money to have the fuel sensors replaced under warranty. I just hope they do a good job and my wife's car doesn't smell like gas for a month. Wish me luck! I will give an update after a week or so and see how it goes.

#20 ·
QUOTE (Milkmaster @ Jul 8 2011, 08:10 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=472705
I should receive the car back today. We found out it has 19 days left onthe warranty. Bought it 27th of July 2006 as a new 2007. One of the first of the new body style off the line it would seem. Anyway, saved me a ton of money to have the fuel sensors replaced under warranty. I just hope they do a good job and my wife's car doesn't smell like gas for a month. Wish me luck! I will give an update after a week or so and see how it goes.
Expect to smell gas for a few days, that depends a lot on how good your dealer is...
BTW, mine tried to let me go with an empty tank... I insisted they fill it up and they did :gitara:

#21 ·
Picked up the Sante Fe this afternoon. The read computer code said one tank sensor had an error. The dealer told me there is a procedure/test they go through to check the fuel level sensors. One was dead and the other was intermittant. Both were replaced. My wife was pleased.

Knowing what the possible fix would be, we took the car for repairs with only 1/4 tank of fuel. We picked it up with no smell of gas at all. They even found my daughter's lost sunglasses behind the back seats in the no man's land. SO far so good!

#22 ·
Update: After the repairs yesterday, my wife filled up the fuel tank this morning. I guess we have to take it back again. Now it only reads 3/4 full when the tank is absolutely full. This is sure getting old!

#23 ·
QUOTE (Milkmaster @ Jul 9 2011, 11:25 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=473154
Update: After the repairs yesterday, my wife filled up the fuel tank this morning. I guess we have to take it back again. Now it only reads 3/4 full when the tank is absolutely full. This is sure getting old!
Did they replace one or BOTH sensors? I can't recall whether you told us what their plan was, and it's back a page now.

#24 ·
QUOTE (Stef71 @ Jun 30 2011, 06:54 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=469256
SBR711 is one.
Hi all,
Good info from SBR 711 and BEWISEHM. It looks like some people who are quoting information haven't ACTUALLY done the repair. I am waiting for a specialty part to do the repair but will comment with what I know thus far. BEWISEHM has the best stuff thus far on the topic. However, the fuel pressure does NOT bleed down (ask me how I know, ha,ha), so pull the grey wire connection on the left side and start the engine. It will bleed the pressure down as it runs out of gas. And as SBR711 points out, DO NOT try to get the lock rings off with a brass punch. You will chew the heck out of them. You need a specialty tool Kent Moore J48889 which I found for $163.93 at the cheapest. One guy had one on ebay for $90 but it was gone. The senders are about $80 bucks a side and are from the dealer. Autozone had a fuel pump kit in their loaner program, but it doesn't work. If you deform the locking plate, it won't seal and fuel odor will permeate the cabin.
Once I get the tool, I will pull the panels, replace the senders, and reseal. I'll let everyone know how it goes. I called the dealer and they said they didn't know how much it would be (yeah, right), but have seen a $600 number floating around. It really isn't that bad pulling the seats and rear cargo storage (2007 Santa Fe Limited) so will be hopeful to report a finished job when the tool arrives. Once I'm done, if anyone wants the tool, I'll be happy to make you a deal on it.
Three hours total for everything sounds about right. Love the car but the fuel gauge should be a recall item, because they know it's a problem.

Sincerely,

John
Woodstock, GA

PS: If you smoke while you are doing the repair, you won't need the special tool, but will need to remove small pieces of Hyundai shrapnel out of your face. :grin:

#29 ·
QUOTE (Stef71 @ Jun 30 2011, 06:54 AM)
Hi all,
Good info from SBR 711 and BEWISEHM. It looks like some people who are quoting information haven't ACTUALLY done the repair. I am waiting for a specialty part to do the repair but will comment with what I know thus far. BEWISEHM has the best stuff thus far on the topic. However, the fuel pressure does NOT bleed down (ask me how I know, ha,ha), so pull the grey wire connection on the left side and start the engine. It will bleed the pressure down as it runs out of gas. And as SBR711 points out, DO NOT try to get the lock rings off with a brass punch. You will chew the heck out of them. You need a specialty tool Kent Moore J48889 which I found for $163.93 at the cheapest. One guy had one on ebay for $90 but it was gone. The senders are about $80 bucks a side and are from the dealer. Autozone had a fuel pump kit in their loaner program, but it doesn't work. If you deform the locking plate, it won't seal and fuel odor will permeate the cabin.
Once I get the tool, I will pull the panels, replace the senders, and reseal. I'll let everyone know how it goes. I called the dealer and they said they didn't know how much it would be (yeah, right), but have seen a $600 number floating around. It really isn't that bad pulling the seats and rear cargo storage (2007 Santa Fe Limited) so will be hopeful to report a finished job when the tool arrives. Once I'm done, if anyone wants the tool, I'll be happy to make you a deal on it.
Three hours total for everything sounds about right. Love the car but the fuel gauge should be a recall item, because they know it's a problem.

Sincerely,

John
Woodstock, GA

PS: If you smoke while you are doing the repair, you won't need the special tool, but will need to remove small pieces of Hyundai shrapnel out of your face. :grin:

Already have fuel senders in hand. Glad I caught this thread before I tore into the job, had to chew up "ears" w/o the correct tool.

Wonder if a more easily sourced gear puller could be adapted for use instead of the Kent Moore J-48889. It looks suspiciously like an adjustable gear puller.

Any ideas?

Am I gonna absolutely ruin the locking ring ears without the appropriate tool?

TIA,
Dan

#25 ·
QUOTE (Milkmaster @ Jul 9 2011, 12:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=473154
Thanks John for your comments. We took our 2007 Limited back to the dealer shop for the second day in a row for the fuel sensor problem. This second time the tech admitted being the problem. He said the way he put one of the new sensors in the first time created interference and did not let the new sensor go all the way up to full. It has been two days now since the second repair. All seems to be fine now. After starting this thread and asking so many questions, I am sure glad we discovered the vehicle still had 19 days of warranty left.

YOU are absolutely correct about using the appropriate tool for the job. I would call it a type of spanner wrench. I saw the tech using it. Being an industrial mechanic myself, I know there is no substitute for using the right wrench. Too bad a dealership would not lend or rent it out to you. Go back to the dealer where you bought the car new and share you problem. Maybe they would lend you the wrench over a weekend to keep your business. That may be just wishful thinking on my part.

Good Luck.

#26 ·
Fella next to me had a set yesterday.. I misplaced my SD card, but we took pics with his camera, and I need to get pics from him to post here, as we took pic of tool sticking through floor for the lock ring..

Stay tuned for pics when I can get them..

Tech goofed sender install ?? All you got to do is roll unit into tank, jiggle it to make sure all is free and push down and engage the lock ring, then rotate it into place to secure the module into tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.