After-Market Navigation Infotainment - Page 2 - Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum

Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Hyundai-Forums.com is the premier Hyundai Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Volvo S60
Posts: 174
syy_fyy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7milesup View Post
I wonder when next year. I mean next year is only a month and a half away. I also realuze it coud be 12 months away.
Did he say what the delay was?
Charles said early next year..

How early will it be available I don't think he is sure either..

Here is the response from Charles about the delay..
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesj123
Our big challenge is the 4.3 screen. Instead of sending data to the radio face plate , the 4.3 inch is sending pixels. This situation is causing us big headaches to decode the information sent by the radio to be displayed on the touch screen.

We have to approach the problem with new ideas that wasn't build yet.

Hope it clarifies the situation.

Sorry for the delay my friend

Charles
__________________
Sorry GM.. I am going with Hyundai..!!!
syy_fyy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-15-2012, 05:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
7milesup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NW Wisconsin
2013 Santa Fe 2.0T FWD Mineral Gray w/pop. eq. & leather , GMC truck
Posts: 706
7milesup is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by syy_fyy View Post
Charles said early next year..

How early will it be available I don't think he is sure either..

Here is the response from Charles about the delay..

Wow. Sounds like he is up against a real issue there. It is interesting that there is supposedly mfgs. on Ebay that are selling the 8" screen models but after reading Charles' response, I am guessing that those units will end up being just a pretty screen to look at.

I hope he gets this sorted out soon because I was planning on buying one without the tech package ($2900 savings) and upgrading the 4.3" to Charles' 8" screen system.
7milesup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Volvo S60
Posts: 174
syy_fyy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7milesup View Post
Wow. Sounds like he is up against a real issue there. It is interesting that there is supposedly mfgs. on Ebay that are selling the 8" screen models but after reading Charles' response, I am guessing that those units will end up being just a pretty screen to look at.

I hope he gets this sorted out soon because I was planning on buying one without the tech package ($2900 savings) and upgrading the 4.3" to Charles' 8" screen system.
yeah on ebay you can find it for as low at $350/- shipped.. and some of these sellers have got really good ratings too.. top sellers.. seems like some of them sell gps for many different car models..

though the price is good and comes with 2-years warranty, I don't think I am still convinced.. all sellers are in china, so if I have to return it, I don't know if they will ever get it..

and if it does turn out good product then will it last all 10 years that I am planning to keep the Santa Fe..?

on the other hand, 'Car-Toys' Car Audio & Video, GPS Navigation, Car Speakers/Amplifiers - Car Toys, that installs the after-market system is a very reputable company.. they offer life-time warranty.. so if something ever goes wrong with the nav system or controls then they would fix it..

I was going to buy the Santa Fe with popular + Leather package.. but when I saw their 4.3" screen I decided on just going with the base model with popular package only..

Hyundai should have added the 8" screen with the leather package.. I mean nowadays 7" screen is either standard or just 1-step above the base models on almost all the vehicles.. so I am disappointed that Hyundai offers just 4.3" screen..!!!

Anyways.. I'm not sure about this system that they are selling on ebay.. are unavi and ottonavi guys reputable??
__________________
Sorry GM.. I am going with Hyundai..!!!
syy_fyy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 08:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor
 
charlesj123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montreal, QC, Canada
Drives Sonata 2010 Sport
Posts: 1,258
charlesj123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to charlesj123
Default

You have a good point here 7milesup,

The mean difference between us on what you see usually on Ebay is the product itself, while our technology merge with the factory radio, those Ebay system are the replacement of the radio.

Few words of caution when you shopping for systems.

1- Do they support steering wheel phone controls? Yes, no or not completely. Since they have their own Bluetooth chip, most of them don't support "Voice Dial". This is a major feature drop IMO.

2- They don't talk about nav software or they give it for free. Look at their hardware specifications and right there you will have a good idea of what you will end up with. The nav software is a give away, illegal or trial. Go for and look for updated maps... good luck.

3- The nav software works as a stand alone and not integrated with the whole platform.

4- When I see "RESET" part of the center keypad, it does'nt inspire confidence.

5- I went over that justification many times and it is very important to ask as many questions you can othertwise yuo can be left if bad surprises and desapointment. I'm not smarter than anyone else but please do yourself a favor guys, look, ask and compare.


On our side of things, it's too soon to talk about the 4.3 screen problems..., I'm just trying to tell things the way they are to people. We have many ways to attack the problem and we have to explore each of them.

For the standard LCD, no problem here and we are planning to release it early next year (January or February).

I can't say too much for now but exclusively for the Santa Fe, we have a little surprise that will make you fall off your chair... ... hope so...

Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7milesup View Post
Wow. Sounds like he is up against a real issue there. It is interesting that there is supposedly mfgs. on Ebay that are selling the 8" screen models but after reading Charles' response, I am guessing that those units will end up being just a pretty screen to look at.

I hope he gets this sorted out soon because I was planning on buying one without the tech package ($2900 savings) and upgrading the 4.3" to Charles' 8" screen system.
__________________
www.compass-nav.com ___ DRIVEN BY PASSION ___ Integrated Navigation systems___ Like us! www.facebook.com
charlesj123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 08:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Volvo S60
Posts: 174
syy_fyy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesj123 View Post
You have a good point here 7milesup,

The mean difference between us on what you see usually on Ebay is the product itself, while our technology merge with the factory radio, those Ebay system are the replacement of the radio.

Few words of caution when you shopping for systems.

1- Do they support steering wheel phone controls? Yes, no or not completely. Since they have their own Bluetooth chip, most of them don't support "Voice Dial". This is a major feature drop IMO.

2- They don't talk about nav software or they give it for free. Look at their hardware specifications and right there you will have a good idea of what you will end up with. The nav software is a give away, illegal or trial. Go for and look for updated maps... good luck.

3- The nav software works as a stand alone and not integrated with the whole platform.

4- When I see "RESET" part of the center keypad, it does'nt inspire confidence.

5- I went over that justification many times and it is very important to ask as many questions you can othertwise yuo can be left if bad surprises and desapointment. I'm not smarter than anyone else but please do yourself a favor guys, look, ask and compare.


On our side of things, it's too soon to talk about the 4.3 screen problems..., I'm just trying to tell things the way they are to people. We have many ways to attack the problem and we have to explore each of them.

For the standard LCD, no problem here and we are planning to release it early next year (January or February).

I can't say too much for now but exclusively for the Santa Fe, we have a little surprise that will make you fall off your chair... ... hope so...

Charles
Hi Charles,

I want your system for the Santa Fe base model which has just the monochrome LCD.. is that one delayed too till next year? I understand that you are having problem integrating your system with the 4.3" touchscreen.. and if your system works fine with the regular LCD then when is that coming in market?
__________________
Sorry GM.. I am going with Hyundai..!!!
syy_fyy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 12:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NY
M15 Bus
Posts: 14
sh00k is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Just wondering if anyone has considered getting an iPAD mini as an info-tainment device... tons of people have put ipads or other tablets into their cars/trucks, and the mini is the perfect size, IMO...

An ipad mini w/cellular service would be great for navigation/playing a movie for the kids / putting your music on, etc, assuming that the person uses it responsibly... you can get a ticket for it though, but this is just an idea...
sh00k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 01:17 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Volvo S60
Posts: 174
syy_fyy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh00k View Post
Just wondering if anyone has considered getting an iPAD mini as an info-tainment device... tons of people have put ipads or other tablets into their cars/trucks, and the mini is the perfect size, IMO...

An ipad mini w/cellular service would be great for navigation/playing a movie for the kids / putting your music on, etc, assuming that the person uses it responsibly... you can get a ticket for it though, but this is just an idea...
using mini-tablets as a rear-seat entertainment is a cheaper plus best way to go.. kids in the back can watch movie or play games or listen to music or do their homework.. whatever they wish to do.. so its much better than regular rear-seat dvd entertainment, as with that you can either watch a movie or play game and cost thousands.. just get 2 google nexus 7" and you are done for less than $400 bucks..

as for in the front.. I don't think it would look that good.. System that Charles has would be the best way to go.. plus it would be in-dash, whereas the tablet would be just hanging outside..

By the way, I don't know if you guys know but my 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 comes with built-in Navigation System.. you don't need wifi or cellular data plan to use it.. I use this tablet's navigation when I am going to some unfamiliar area..
__________________
Sorry GM.. I am going with Hyundai..!!!
syy_fyy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 02:02 PM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
7milesup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NW Wisconsin
2013 Santa Fe 2.0T FWD Mineral Gray w/pop. eq. & leather , GMC truck
Posts: 706
7milesup is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by syy_fyy View Post
using mini-tablets as a rear-seat entertainment is a cheaper plus best way to go.. kids in the back can watch movie or play games or listen to music or do their homework.. whatever they wish to do.. so its much better than regular rear-seat dvd entertainment, as with that you can either watch a movie or play game and cost thousands.. just get 2 google nexus 7" and you are done for less than $400 bucks..

as for in the front.. I don't think it would look that good.. System that Charles has would be the best way to go.. plus it would be in-dash, whereas the tablet would be just hanging outside..

By the way, I don't know if you guys know but my 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 comes with built-in Navigation System.. you don't need wifi or cellular data plan to use it.. I use this tablet's navigation when I am going to some unfamiliar area..
How does it know where you are if it does not use cellular... or does it have a built in GPS receiver?
7milesup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 02:43 PM   #19 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor
 
charlesj123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montreal, QC, Canada
Drives Sonata 2010 Sport
Posts: 1,258
charlesj123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to charlesj123
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by syy_fyy View Post
Hi Charles,

I want your system for the Santa Fe base model which has just the monochrome LCD.. is that one delayed too till next year? I understand that you are having problem integrating your system with the 4.3" touchscreen.. and if your system works fine with the regular LCD then when is that coming in market?

using mini-tablets as a rear-seat entertainment is a cheaper plus best way to go.. kids in the back can watch movie or play games or listen to music or do their homework.. whatever they wish to do.. so its much better than regular rear-seat dvd entertainment, as with that you can either watch a movie or play game and cost thousands.. just get 2 google nexus 7" and you are done for less than $400 bucks..

as for in the front.. I don't think it would look that good.. System that Charles has would be the best way to go.. plus it would be in-dash, whereas the tablet would be just hanging outside..
Syy_fyy,

Unfortunatly we have a delay and I have to admit that our developement center is overloaded with all the new cars we are developing and features we're adding.

Most likely, the Santa Fe base radio (monochrome LCD) will be released first somewhere in Janurary.

For the ones interested, we are also dual zone capable part of the standard package. In other words, you can add rear screen(s) and a remote control for the kids to our setup. While kids are watching their videos or gaming, you're navigating at the front.

Hope it helps!

Thanks
__________________
www.compass-nav.com ___ DRIVEN BY PASSION ___ Integrated Navigation systems___ Like us! www.facebook.com
charlesj123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 04:31 PM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
angelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bay Area, California
2013 Santa Fe GLS AWD Leath+Techn, Red.
Posts: 569
angelo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Hi Charles,

I was thinking that your system should be in perfect timing for the LWB coming out next January!
Do you expect the current SF and LWB models to be perfectly compatible with your systems?
angelo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:52 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.