Craftsman Combination Wrench, Full Polish - 17 mm. part# 9-45996 (pro model. why? because its the only tool you will need to change oil)
(one time use tools below. after you get the oil filter off you will hand-tighten new one and remove by hand on subsequent changes)
Craftsman 3/8 in. Drive Quick Release Teardrop Ratchet part# 44811
Craftsman 3/8" Drive Extension 6"
Oil Filter End-cap wrench ( http://www.kiaspecialtools.com/SpecialTool...itemid=41141233
) this might be the right one; i didnt verify.
1. Go to your local Hyundai Dealer
2. Park somewhere and walk over to a door marked "Parts Department"
3. Ask for the following two parts: a.) Hyundai/Kia oil filter 26300-35503 $6.12USD and b.) Oil plug gasket (crush washer) 21513-23001 $0.97USD
4. You only need one of each. But, since you are at the dealer you may want to stock-up on 2-4 of each if you have the cash.
5. Take some scotch tape and tape one of the washers to the outside of each box while you are at the dealer if they donít supply a bag.
6. Go to Wal-Mart
7. Go inside the store to the automotive section next to the section where guns use to be sold.
8. Purchase a single 5Qt jug of Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic 5W-20 $23.50USD (or whatever floats your boat). Make your purchase at the front counter; donít bother the automotive guys...they are usually very busy.
9. Walk back to your car and place the Pennzoil and oil filter with the washer taped to it inside the trunk.
Steps to Change the Oil:
1. Drive your car to the Wal-Mart oil change center.
2. Park the car.
3. Go inside the side door and tell them "I would like the basic $24USD oil change. I donít need the multipoint inspection thank you. I have my own Oil, Filter, and Crush washer" They will tell you that they can discount you for these parts.
4. Confirm that they subtract $9.25 and $2.09 for the customer supplied oil and filter.
5. Tell them that you taped the crush washer to the box and to please replace the one on the plug when changing the oil.
6. Tell them that the car takes 4.23 U.S quarts for the refill. (4.0 L)
(The car takes 4.76 quarts, but the refill is only 4.23 quarts)
7. Done with oil change.
Total Cost in USD:
Oil Filter $6.12
Crush washer $0.97
Wal-Mart Labor $12.66
Total $43.25 USD + TAX
How to save more:
1. Do it yourself subtract $12.66
2. Use different oil subtract $10-$13
Cost Benefit Analysis:
This procedure results in quality parts and oil used in your new Elantra if you donít own a few basic tools or donít have the means to park your car somewhere to change it yourself. Wal-Mart offers a synthetic change at a cost of $55 with exactly the same oil if you specify Pennzoil Platnium 5W-20, but the cost would be [$55 + $6.12 + $0.97 - $2.09 = $64.18]. Buying the oil in advance and getting the credit reduces the price because you are not doing the multipoint inspection and requesting just the $24 oil change and you than get two credits.
Optionally, bringing the car to the Dealer for an oil change will cost $45.00. You donít need to mess around with buying any parts or oil. The Dealer will use a Hyundai filter. But, the Dealer will not use synthetic and they may use 10W-30 dino oil.(nothing wrong with dino oil) Not all dealers in California will pump 5W-20 dino out of the drum. You can specify a synthetic change if you want but at a higher price. The Dealer may also notify you of service procedures that may need to be done in addition to the oil change. You may have a discount from the dealer when you purchased your car or you may have been offered an oil change plan when you purchased. I didnít have these options.
You wonít need any tools mentioned as Ďoptionalí in the Wal-Mart procedure.
If I had a garage I would change my own oil.
I will not respond to any comments on this Wal-Mart procedure.
For persons that donít have a garage, you could get a full synthetic change with a Hyundai oil filter (and the crush washer) with the labor done at Wal-Mart with this procedure. This is about the same price ($1.75 less) as bringing it to the Dealer, but you will have the advantage of synthetic instead of the Dealer dino oil. You could of course ask the Dealer to install synthetic and skip the trouble metnioned above, but at higher price. This is just a method to get same Hyundai quality parts/oil at Wal-Mart.