1st to 2nd hard shift - Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum

Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Hyundai-Forums.com is the premier Hyundai Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 10:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Athens/Alabama
Sonata 2.0T
Posts: 19
chucks1967 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1st to 2nd hard shift

Im having and issue lately where when I give my 2011 a little more than half throttle as its about to shift from first to second it will slam into second. sometimes hard enough to "bark" the tires. Im wandering if this is just my driving style or if its something that I should have the dealer look at. Anyone else have this problem? at WOT from a dead stop it will hit all gears hard, like it has a shift kit..
chucks1967 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-12-2012, 10:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 351
dolsson
Default

That does not sound normal to me....

I would take it to the dealer. Maybe they will find some stored codes from the transmission that weren't severe enough to turn the CEL light on.
__________________
2011 Sonata Turbo Limited
Harbour Grey
Luxon Solid Steel Strut Bar
Forge BOV
Saikou Michi PCV CC
K&N Drop In
dolsson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 01:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Athens/Alabama
Sonata 2.0T
Posts: 19
chucks1967 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolsson View Post
That does not sound normal to me....

I would take it to the dealer. Maybe they will find some stored codes from the transmission that weren't severe enough to turn the CEL light on.
Good idea, I tried with my obdII scanner and it came up with nothing, but thats not to say its not stored somewhere. Thanks for the advice.
chucks1967 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
bonsai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central AR
Sonata YF 2011 LTD 2.0T
Posts: 752
bonsai
Default

If you're going to put your foot in half way then put it in from the start and leave it until you reach the desired speed. The easiest other way is to wait until after the second gear shift is complete and then apply a little more than half throttle.

The only part that requires adjusting is the nut behind the wheel.

As you've discovered there's a lag betwixt initiating and completing a shift sequence. The twin scroll turbo spools up quickly. Much faster than the shift. Worry about first to second as the rest are taken care of in part by the speed at which the car is going down the road.

If WOT produces too harsh a shift then ease up a tad.

Last edited by bonsai; 11-12-2012 at 02:09 PM.
bonsai is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
bonsai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central AR
Sonata YF 2011 LTD 2.0T
Posts: 752
bonsai
Default

"Peak torque of 239 lb-ft arrives at 3500 rpm, and the power peak of 234 horsepower is reached at 6100 rpm."

In a 3400lbs sedan w/6 speed FWD transaxle therein lies the source.

The car wants to be in sixth gear by about 40 MPH for MPG. If you interrupt the shift by punching the gas before the sequence is completed, especially in first to second, you're slamming a lot of torque on the wheels of a slow moving auto.
bonsai is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Athens/Alabama
Sonata 2.0T
Posts: 19
chucks1967 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsai View Post
If you're going to put your foot in half way then put it in from the start and leave it until you reach the desired speed. The easiest other way is to wait until after the second gear shift is complete and then apply a little more than half throttle.

The only part that requires adjusting is the nut behind the wheel.

As you've discovered there's a lag betwixt initiating and completing a shift sequence. The twin scroll turbo spools up quickly. Much faster than the shift. Worry about first to second as the rest are taken care of in part by the speed at which the car is going down the road.

If WOT produces too harsh a shift then ease up a tad.
Um, ok, thank you for that I guess... this is a new development, not something that has been going on sense I first got the car. the computer is more sophisticated than what you are suggesting. My 67 mustang built to the wall, has a shift kit and is designed to shift hard, and does so, but at every shift regardless of the throttle position due to the fact that it is not computer controlled. I expect a hard neck snap from that not from the Hyundai. I was asking primarily to find out if it was something particular to the car, a defect that others were experiencing or something unique to my car.
chucks1967 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
bonsai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central AR
Sonata YF 2011 LTD 2.0T
Posts: 752
bonsai
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucks1967 View Post
Um, ok, thank you for that I guess... this is a new development, not something that has been going on sense I first got the car. the computer is more sophisticated than what you are suggesting. My 67 mustang built to the wall, has a shift kit and is designed to shift hard, and does so, but at every shift regardless of the throttle position due to the fact that it is not computer controlled. I expect a hard neck snap from that not from the Hyundai. I was asking primarily to find out if it was something particular to the car, a defect that others were experiencing or something unique to my car.
Uh, you're welcome and lucky for me you've the sense to know the difference since you're so steeped in automotive expertise.

By all means take it to the shop if you're so of mind and report back as to what they discover.

The computer will prevent early downshift even w/paddles or manual, more so than early upshift, but there's a definite lag that's rather lengthy on the auto upshift.

You're inducing the hard shift by timing the over half throttle betwixt the shift. On purpose or unintentionally you're shooting the throttle after the shift sequence has started, yet before it's complete.

I can do it 9 outa 10 times easy on first to second. It's merely a matter of timing the auto shift or manipulating the ECM to shift early and then spooling up the turbo before it's finished.
bonsai is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Athens/Alabama
Sonata 2.0T
Posts: 19
chucks1967 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsai View Post
Uh, you're welcome and lucky for me you've the sense to know the difference since you're so steeped in automotive expertise.

By all means take it to the shop if you're so of mind and report back as to what they discover.

The computer will prevent early downshift even w/paddles or manual, more so than early upshift, but there's a definite lag that's rather lengthy on the auto upshift.

You're inducing the hard shift by timing the over half throttle betwixt the shift. On purpose or unintentionally you're shooting the throttle after the shift sequence has started, yet before it's complete.

I can do it 9 outa 10 times easy on first to second. It's merely a matter of timing the auto shift or manipulating the ECM to shift early and then spooling up the turbo before it's finished.
So thats the problem, I know nothing about this new stuff, I assumed that the ECU would be able to open the waist gate faster than it would have time to shift. As you so eloquently stated I am very "Seeped in automotive expertise" when it comes to the old stuff, you want to learn about naturally aspirated ford small blocks just ask. This "nut behind the wheel" has been turning a wrench on old american muscle for a long time. its these new fangled turbo'd fuel injected computer controlled crap I don't understand... what I do understand is it gets way better MPG than my 302... by the way. really no reason to have an attitude it just makes for an uncomfortable read for the guests....
chucks1967 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 07:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Posts: 119
Mattpsu
Default

Mine slams the 1-2 upshift if I don't warm up the car for 30 seconds. After a block or two, it goes away. The only thing that stops it otherwise is manually shifting. You have to wonder the cumulative effects of that.
Mattpsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 05:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
bonsai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central AR
Sonata YF 2011 LTD 2.0T
Posts: 752
bonsai
Default

As your elder I'm having a wee bit of fun in dialogue Chucky. Don't come at me w/serrated Ghinzu.

I noticed when mine was relatively new that if I wasn't cautious and conscience of my throttle placement tooling around that second gear would slam harshly. Most of the time I was playing w/manual shift unaware that I was staging second for a harsh shift. Then I realized it would do the same in auto though not as frequently.

It isn't good for the transaxle, so I started paying more attention to my timing of the throttle in relation to the shifting. Driving 40mph in 5th and dropping the hammer to second isn't nearly as harsh as slamming second early in an upshift.

After time I realized the smoothest easiest shift was auto. I've always been a 10 & 2 O'clock hand position driver, when I've two hands on the wheel, but w/paddles I'm at 9 on left now w/right hand on the stick. I find it as easy to tap the paddle downshift compared to pedal to the metal.

As well if I wish to slowly accelerate w/o shifting early I bump the stick. The other nice thing is being able to clear manual by sliding the stick laterally. Even after downshifting w/left paddle, whilst in auto, I'll move the stick left-right to clear manaul, w/o waiting for it to time out, and bring it back to auto.

A 69 Mustang Grande 390 three speed auto weighed 3500lbs and was slower 0-60, 1/4 mile, 1-100 and top end compared to the 2.0T sedan.

1969 FORD MUSTANG GRANDE 390 V-8 Cruise-O-Matic specs, photo & performance data (since middle 1968 for North America U.S.)

Same goes for the 67 fastback 2+2

1967 FORD MUSTANG GTA Fastback 2+2 390 V-8 Cruise-O-Matic specs, photo & performance data (since middle 1966 for North America U.S.)

1967 Ford Mustang GTA 390

Specifications:
Engine
389.6 cu in/6384cc OHV V-8, 1x4-bbl Holley C70F-F carburetor
Power and torque (SAE gross)
325 hp @ 4800 rpm, 427 lb-ft @ 3200 rpm
Drivetrain
3-speed automatic, RWD
Suspension
front: control arms, coil springs, anti-roll bar; rear: live axle, leaf springs
Dimensions
L: 183.6 in, W: 70.9 in, H: 51.6 in
Weight
3255 lb
Performance
0-60 mph: 7.4 sec, quarter mile: 15.6 sec @ 94 mph, 60-0 mph: 134 ft (Motor Trend, December 1966, four-speed manual test car)
Price when new
$3864


Bullitt car 68 GT 390 Fastback
390 cu in (6.4 L) FE V8 (1968) 4-barrel325 bhp (242 kW; 330 PS) @ 4,800427 lbft (579 Nm) @ 3,200

It had 4 speed manual, w/390 for an extra $233.18, and you could snag a limited slip differential for $41.60.

I'd like to see a 390 fastback chasing a Sonata turbo through the streets of San Francisco.
bonsai is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:14 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.