"auto" Headlights Staying On - Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum

Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Hyundai-Forums.com is the premier Hyundai Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2011, 10:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 22
blueanxiety
Default

Has anyone experienced an issue with the automatic headlights staying on after the car is turned off and is in park?

I have about 1k miles on the car and I've noticed that in the evening, the headlights will not shut off after I park the car. This will happen maybe 3 or 4 times already, but it happened twice today. Is there something that I am not doing in order for them to shut off? I have been toggling them to "on" and then back to "automatic" in order for them to shut off. Is this a common issue?

Pardon me if this has been mentioned. I read a thread about accessories staying on - but my radio turns off fine, it's just the headlights that stay on.
blueanxiety is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-26-2011, 10:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 40
Hbk5585
Default

QUOTE (blueanxiety @ Jul 26 2011, 10:34 PM)
Quote:
Has anyone experienced an issue with the automatic headlights staying on after the car is turned off and is in park?

I have about 1k miles on the car and I've noticed that in the evening, the headlights will not shut off after I park the car. This will happen maybe 3 or 4 times already, but it happened twice today. Is there something that I am not doing in order for them to shut off? I have been toggling them to "on" and then back to "automatic" in order for them to shut off. Is this a common issue?

Pardon me if this has been mentioned. I read a thread about accessories staying on - but my radio turns off fine, it's just the headlights that stay on.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they stay on 90 seconds after the car is shut off. I believe this is an option that is turned on by default, but I think there is a way to change this, I think by holding down the TRIP button for 5 seconds, which brings a menu.

Is this correct?
Hbk5585 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2011, 10:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 95
brogers57
Default

They are timed at 25 seconds. If I am not mistaken you can set these by holding down the trip Button while in park.
brogers57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2011, 10:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 95
brogers57
Default

QUOTE (Hbk5585 @ Jul 26 2011, 10:39 PM)
Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they stay on 90 seconds after the car is shut off. I believe this is an option that is turned on by default, but I think there is a way to change this, I think by holding down the TRIP button for 5 seconds, which brings a menu.

Is this correct?
You have different time settings that can be used.
brogers57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2011, 10:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: California
YF
Posts: 1,106
Mod King is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

QUOTE (blueanxiety @ Jul 26 2011, 07:34 PM)
Quote:
Has anyone experienced an issue with the automatic headlights staying on after the car is turned off and is in park?

I have about 1k miles on the car and I've noticed that in the evening, the headlights will not shut off after I park the car. This will happen maybe 3 or 4 times already, but it happened twice today. Is there something that I am not doing in order for them to shut off? I have been toggling them to "on" and then back to "automatic" in order for them to shut off. Is this a common issue?

Pardon me if this has been mentioned. I read a thread about accessories staying on - but my radio turns off fine, it's just the headlights that stay on.
The headlight delay is probably active and can be turned off using the settings displayed on the trip screen...you can look this up in the owner's manual and turn the delay off.
Mod King is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2011, 11:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
13SonataScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Central California
2013 YF 2.0T Limited P. & Optima SE V6
Posts: 2,347
13SonataScott is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

With the switch in auto mode; If you shut off the engine and stay in the car, I believe the lights will stay on for 20 minutes. If you open and close the drivers door I think they go off 20 seconds later. If you set the alarm with the remote, pushing set twice, they go off right away. I may be off a little with the times, but I think that is the basic operation of it.
13SonataScott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2011, 11:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 22
blueanxiety
Default

QUOTE (bkim @ Jul 26 2011, 10:41 PM)
Quote:
The headlight delay is probably active and can be turned off using the settings displayed on the trip screen...you can look this up in the owner's manual and turn the delay off.
Duh - that explains it. I was reviewing the menu settings this morning. I must of accidentally clicked it and selected it when I was viewing the options today.

Thanks!

blueanxiety is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2011, 10:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 77
jbrams
Default

QUOTE (blueanxiety @ Jul 26 2011, 08:56 PM)
Quote:
Duh - that explains it. I was reviewing the menu settings this morning. I must of accidentally clicked it and selected it when I was viewing the options today.

Thanks!
The manual explains the standard times and (as above) how to change the setting. Basically, with auto-on, they stay on when you turn the car off for 30 seconds or until you arm the alarm (double press the lock button on your remote). If they are left "on" they stay on for 20 minutes then turn off automatically to save the battery from draining (the manual explains how to keep them on longer if you want).

So, yes, normal behavior.
__________________
jbrams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:00 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.