Usb Port Issue - Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum

Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Hyundai-Forums.com is the premier Hyundai Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2011, 08:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6
radtad82
Default

Hi,
I just bought a 2011 Sonata about a month ago and overall I like the car. However I'm having some issues getting the USB and AUX ports to work and I was wondering if anyone had similar issues.
All I want to be able to do is plug in my mp3 player and listen to it while driving. The problem is that when I plug in the USB cable into the Sonata's USB port, sometimes it isn't recognized. What's worse is that while I'm driving, it sometimes resets, switching to radio because it thinks nothing is plugged in. Sometimes it shows a "Reading USB" message and what I'm listening to on the mp3 player (which is brand new) resets.
I also tried the AUX port with one of those double ended headphone jacks and the same thing happens - occasionally it just doesn't recognize that the device is plugged in.
It really shouldn't be this much of a hassle to listen to my mp3 player. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks
radtad82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-09-2011, 08:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Bearcats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Over Here
'13 Ford Fusion Titanium '11 Sonata YF 2.4 Limited (Wifes)
Posts: 3,241
Bearcats is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

QUOTE (radtad82 @ Feb 9 2011, 08:41 AM)
Quote:
Hi,
I just bought a 2011 Sonata about a month ago and overall I like the car. However I'm having some issues getting the USB and AUX ports to work and I was wondering if anyone had similar issues.
All I want to be able to do is plug in my mp3 player and listen to it while driving. The problem is that when I plug in the USB cable into the Sonata's USB port, sometimes it isn't recognized. What's worse is that while I'm driving, it sometimes resets, switching to radio because it thinks nothing is plugged in. Sometimes it shows a "Reading USB" message and what I'm listening to on the mp3 player (which is brand new) resets.
I also tried the AUX port with one of those double ended headphone jacks and the same thing happens - occasionally it just doesn't recognize that the device is plugged in.
It really shouldn't be this much of a hassle to listen to my mp3 player. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks
What type of MP3 player? I would suspect if you tried an Aux port (Mini jack) and USB port and it behaves the same way that you might have an issue with your MP3 player.
__________________
KDM YF LED tails | Llumar 30% Ceramic Tint | V-LED 5K Interior lighting | XenonSupply 4300K Slimline HID's | The "cup" mod
Bearcats is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2011, 09:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6
radtad82
Default

It's a sansa clip. The reason I'm thinking it might be the car's ports is that when the cable stops being recognized, I could still hear sound coming from the mp3 player itself, if I plug in headphones.
Is it possible to try plugging in just a regular USB flash drive, or is it only mp3 players that can be played through the Sonata's usb port?
I'll see if some of my friends have an mp3 player that I can test out. It definitely seems like a problem with the connection - I just wish I knew if it was on Sonata's end or the mp3 player's end.
radtad82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2011, 09:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Smoke1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Suffolk, NY
11 Sonata 2.4
Posts: 2,310
Smoke1991 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

try using just a usb flash memory stick and drop your mp3 files on that, my ipod works fine, so does my phone (with bluetooth or using the 3.5mm cable) also my 16 gb flash stick works fine as well. I agree with everyone else and think its your player.


__________________
2011 Sonata Limited Silver/Black leather with Nav.
To many mods to list...
(I don't know what I am talking about, so listen to the other guy.... he knows better)
Smoke1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2011, 09:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
craigos26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Birmingham, Al.
Posts: 482
craigos26 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

I've found the USB approach the most convenient if you're willing to make MP3 Format song copies / eliminates battery drain, re-charging, etc.. I can't recall if the Sonata iPod cable provides Charging to an Apple device.

I think it reads that WMA is usable BUT it was Not Recognized in my Limited w/Nav Pkg Audio.

The manual states you must use a FAT Format and an earlier entry that I thought 4GB was a FAT USB limit was wrong - as other users below have posted higher capacities are fine. It further warns against inserting or removing the USB except in certain situations with USB damage a Possible result. I've added-removed it in every scenario and in my case nothing happened.

I'd be interested in what you find as the best Recording Speed: 192 kbs actually sounded a little muddled and I settled on 160.

Give it a try.
__________________
'14 Optima EX w/Premium Pkg
Snow Pearl White / Tan
Michelin Primacy MXM4
Husky Floor-Trunk Liners
Garmin nuvi 2557 LMT
Built 9/27/13

2011 Sonata Limited - Pacific Blue
Built 7/2/10


Politicians and Diapers Need Changing For the Same Reason
craigos26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2011, 09:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Bearcats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Over Here
'13 Ford Fusion Titanium '11 Sonata YF 2.4 Limited (Wifes)
Posts: 3,241
Bearcats is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

QUOTE (radtad82 @ Feb 9 2011, 09:10 AM)
Quote:
It's a sansa clip. The reason I'm thinking it might be the car's ports is that when the cable stops being recognized, I could still hear sound coming from the mp3 player itself, if I plug in headphones.
Is it possible to try plugging in just a regular USB flash drive, or is it only mp3 players that can be played through the Sonata's usb port?
I'll see if some of my friends have an mp3 player that I can test out. It definitely seems like a problem with the connection - I just wish I knew if it was on Sonata's end or the mp3 player's end.
Yes, you can use a normal thumb drive to store your music. There is a cap to the amount of files it will recognize, so keep that in mind. Its more than I would ever need.


__________________
KDM YF LED tails | Llumar 30% Ceramic Tint | V-LED 5K Interior lighting | XenonSupply 4300K Slimline HID's | The "cup" mod
Bearcats is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2011, 10:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Smoke1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Suffolk, NY
11 Sonata 2.4
Posts: 2,310
Smoke1991 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

QUOTE (Bearcats @ Feb 9 2011, 09:49 AM)
Quote:
Yes, you can use a normal thumb drive to store your music. There is a cap to the amount of files it will recognize, so keep that in mind. Its more than I would ever need.
+1
__________________
2011 Sonata Limited Silver/Black leather with Nav.
To many mods to list...
(I don't know what I am talking about, so listen to the other guy.... he knows better)
Smoke1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2011, 11:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 69
RoninLB
Default

Not sure there's a 4 Gb limit on the thumb drives. I have a 16 Gb drive in the USB port full of music and it works just fine.
RoninLB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2011, 12:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Smoke1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Suffolk, NY
11 Sonata 2.4
Posts: 2,310
Smoke1991 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

QUOTE (RoninLB @ Feb 9 2011, 11:41 AM)
Quote:
Not sure there's a 4 Gb limit on the thumb drives. I have a 16 Gb drive in the USB port full of music and it works just fine.

i never ran into problems either. hrmmmm
__________________
2011 Sonata Limited Silver/Black leather with Nav.
To many mods to list...
(I don't know what I am talking about, so listen to the other guy.... he knows better)
Smoke1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2011, 05:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
craigos26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Birmingham, Al.
Posts: 482
craigos26 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

QUOTE (RoninLB @ Feb 9 2011, 10:41 AM)
Quote:
Not sure there's a 4 Gb limit on the thumb drives. I have a 16 Gb drive in the USB port full of music and it works just fine.
Sorry for that. I can't find that in the Manual so I must have read it Googling. I'll Edit that part out and this info is great to know.
__________________
'14 Optima EX w/Premium Pkg
Snow Pearl White / Tan
Michelin Primacy MXM4
Husky Floor-Trunk Liners
Garmin nuvi 2557 LMT
Built 9/27/13

2011 Sonata Limited - Pacific Blue
Built 7/2/10


Politicians and Diapers Need Changing For the Same Reason
craigos26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:19 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.