What compact SUV would you get today? - Page 2 - Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum
 10Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Goodlettsville, TN
2016 Tucson - Limited - Ultimate Package
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Jason14227 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJohn View Post
I vote for 2017 CX-5 or Sportage if not Tucson. Sportage will be the easiest to transition to from Tucson when you drive each other's vehicles as far as control placement/feel/familiarity. CR-V felt like driving a bus compared to a Tucson and the interior is a bit cheap feeling. The 1.5T sounds absolutely horrendous when you give it any throttle.
That is the one thing I noticed about the CR-V was how loud it was getting up to speed. I mentioned that to my wife when we were test driving it. I was wondering if it was just me which is why I wanted to give it another test drive. Maybe I should go on their board and see if it's an issue.
Jason14227 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Goodlettsville, TN
2016 Tucson - Limited - Ultimate Package
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Jason14227 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gggplaya View Post
Well, free or heavily discounted is a whole nother factor. So the subaru moves up the list. The road noise will actually help babies sleep, which is why you have a sound machine in their room. It's like they're back in the womb.

The previous gen CX-5 was also quite loud, it's actually the major thing mazda fixed and addressed in their new gen CX-9 and 2017 CX-5. However, the CX-5 will have the tightest suspension of the entire class. Great for people transitioning from sports cars, but it's a little rough for my tastes. I haven't driven the latest 2017 model though.
Well, she's an only child and its the first grand baby so her parents want her in something new and safe. The manual Cruze was fine in flat Florida but we moved to TN in August and shes not having as much fun being stopped on hills up here with a manual.

Any of the vehicles will be "free" to a certain extent. Trying to keep it around 30 as much as possible but there is some wiggle room according to the inlaws. I have the Cruze up for sale privately to try to expand the budget a couple thousand.
Jason14227 is offline  
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 12:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
SirJohn is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14227 View Post
That is the one thing I noticed about the CR-V was how loud it was getting up to speed. I mentioned that to my wife when we were test driving it. I was wondering if it was just me which is why I wanted to give it another test drive. Maybe I should go on their board and see if it's an issue.
Not just you. That is the nature of the 1.5T drivetrain in the Honda. If I recall correctly, there are no balance shafts. Then you match with a CVT, a small turbocharger, and lesser NVH isolation for the engine and you get that horrendous noise. Sounds like ball bearings in a blender. For all their engineering prowess on engine design, Honda has been lacking at the NVH part when it comes to small 4 cylinders. The previous generation CR-V with the 2.4/CVT combo was famous for noticeable engine vibration in the cabin.
SirJohn is offline  
 
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 12:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: USA
Drives 2016 Tucson Eco AWD
Posts: 400
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
gggplaya is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJohn View Post
Not just you. That is the nature of the 1.5T drivetrain in the Honda. If I recall correctly, there are no balance shafts. Then you match with a CVT, a small turbocharger, and lesser NVH isolation for the engine and you get that horrendous noise. Sounds like ball bearings in a blender. For all their engineering prowess on engine design, Honda has been lacking at the NVH part when it comes to small 4 cylinders. The previous generation CR-V with the 2.4/CVT combo was famous for noticeable engine vibration in the cabin.
The vibration from the 2.4L was known as it was being designed. They went to an offset cylinder design where the crank was not directly under the cylinders, this provided a direct straight verticle plane of force when the cylinders would fire, instead of angular with respect to the cylinder. This improves power and efficiency. But the engineers knew it would create more unbalance and therefore vibration. They knew they would need to make greater efforts to compensate for vibration. The engine is a very good engine, aside from the vibration.


My father has one and thought there was a problem with his car when he felt it vibrate a little. I showed him this drawing and explained it to him. He was like "oh ok" and didn't care anymore. Most people are alarmed by the vibration because they think the car is broken, but once they know it's inherent in the design, they don't care.

Last edited by gggplaya; 06-12-2017 at 12:48 PM.
gggplaya is offline  
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 02:33 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
SirJohn is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't doubt that it was by design. Honda is absolutely brilliant with getting power and fuel efficiency out of engines and still making them reliable, but such decisions do compromise NVH, where they often lag behind competitors. They should have taken that vibration further into account when designing engine isolation components/mounting. NVH is important to many people (especially as current mainstream cars are rivaling luxury cars from 10-15 years ago), but then again, Honda still sells a ton of vehicles, especially CR-Vs.

To be fair on my complaint on the Cr-V, I probably wouldn't have noticed the noise on the 1.5T as much if hadn't driven the Tucson back-to-back with it and that my other car is a Sonata hybrid, which even in gas mode, you can't really hear the engine much. I can feel it turn on and off, but unless I am in a parking lot or stopped, I don't really hear it.

Last edited by SirJohn; 06-12-2017 at 02:46 PM.
SirJohn is offline  
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 02:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Old's Cool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Loco Boy Makes Good
2005 Scion tC; 1988 Toyota Supra; 2009 Hyundai Accent Wheezer 1.6; 96 Subaru Outback (soon)
Posts: 11,247
Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 3116 Post(s)
Old's Cool is an unknown quantity at this point
Garage
One of these looks pretty tempting...


Do you know any satisfying profanity?!


There are two ways to slide easily through life: believe everything, or doubt everything. Both ways save us from thinking-Fred C. Dobbs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<<click...

2009 Accent Hatch
I find it works well enough to get me from one planet to another.

Old's Cool is online now  
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 02:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: USA
Drives 2016 Tucson Eco AWD
Posts: 400
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
gggplaya is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJohn View Post
I don't doubt that it was by design. Honda is absolutely brilliant with getting power and fuel efficiency out of engines and still making them reliable, but such decisions do compromise NVH, where they often lag behind competitors. They should have taken that vibration further into account when designing engine isolation components/mounting. NVH is important to many people (especially as current mainstream cars are rivaling luxury cars from 10-15 years ago), but then again, Honda still sells a ton of vehicles, especially CR-Vs.
They did, I remember before buying the tucson, I did alot of research on the CRV as well. I remember watching a video from a press event with an engineer talking about the offset cylinder design. He mentioned taking extra steps to reduce the extra vibration from the offset design. But alas, you can't put lipstick on a pig when it comes to an unbalanced design, however, it's quite remarkable how well honda was able to hide the vibration.

As for total NVH, honda did focus on it for their 2017 redesign, benchmarking it against the BMW X3. The 1.5T engine noise just doesn't sound good, but the rest of the cars NVH is good.
gggplaya is offline  
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 02:52 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
SirJohn is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old's Cool View Post
One of these looks pretty tempting...

No doubt. That or an X1.
Old's Cool likes this.
SirJohn is offline  
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 02:57 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
SirJohn is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by gggplaya View Post
They did, I remember before buying the tucson, I did alot of research on the CRV as well. I remember watching a video from a press event with an engineer talking about the offset cylinder design. He mentioned taking extra steps to reduce the extra vibration from the offset design. But alas, you can't put lipstick on a pig when it comes to an unbalanced design, however, it's quite remarkable how well honda was able to hide the vibration.

As for total NVH, honda did focus on it for their 2017 redesign, benchmarking it against the BMW X3. The 1.5T engine noise just doesn't sound good, but the rest of the cars NVH is good.
Agreed. Overall NVH on the 17 is a huge improvement over previous generation and finally up to the rest of the category. Still felt the Tucson was a bit better overall in that area and without the annoying engine noise.

Last edited by SirJohn; 06-12-2017 at 03:00 PM.
SirJohn is offline  
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Goodlettsville, TN
2016 Tucson - Limited - Ultimate Package
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Jason14227 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old's Cool View Post
One of these looks pretty tempting...

Haha...one of my coworkers has that at work. It is pretty nice!
Old's Cool likes this.
Jason14227 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
flames9
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome