Camshaft Position Sensor - Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum

Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Hyundai-Forums.com is the premier Hyundai Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2010, 03:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2
Love/hateRelationship
Default

Hey Guys and Gals,
So here's what's going on. About 2 months ago, my car stalled out at the front of a stop light and wouldn't start back. I was just siting there, idling and when it turned green I noticed it was off. Not fun. Anyways, I got a friend who works on cars a ton to look at it and we ended up replacing the ignition sensor and spark plugs/wires. It worked fine for about a week, but then it started doing it all over again. Sometimes, when I go to cold start it from being in like a store, it won't start at all. It will turn over, but not actually start. If I leave it for any random amount of time, it will start back up. One time I just waited like 5 minutes and it started up fine. Really inconsistent. Also, it has continued to stall when idling at random times since the problem started. Then, I realized after replacing the ignition sensor that my check engine light is on. Plugged it into a code reader and got "P0340- camshaft position sensor".

So, I have the problem figured out, I believe, but now I have to replace it. I don't know where it is located or how hard it is to change out. Any thoughts?

joe
Love/hateRelationship is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-02-2010, 03:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 448
Alfons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Here's a picture of where it's located but as to difficulty, I can't say - I don't have my daughter's accent here to look at. Off-hand, I'd say if it's visible, it should be relatively easy to replace.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cam_Position_Sensor.JPG (44.4 KB, 197 views)
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2010, 04:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2
Trooperguy
Default

QUOTE (Alfons @ Dec 2 2010, 01:15 PM)
Quote:
Here's a picture of where it's located but as to difficulty, I can't say - I don't have my daughter's accent here to look at. Off-hand, I'd say if it's visible, it should be relatively easy to replace.
Hi everybody. I'm new here and look forward to getting to know everyone. I have a current problem that I have been unable to find the answer to. I need to know what the termnal callouts are for the camshaft position sensor on a 2003 accent. One is the power, another the ground and the third is the signal. If anyone can provide me with this information and include orientation of either looking onto the harness plug or looking into the sensor receptical. I would appreciate it very much. Have checked the Hyundai service site but was unable to determine if I was looking at the correct information.

Thanks
Machineguy
Trooperguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2010, 07:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 448
Alfons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

QUOTE (machineguy @ Dec 12 2010, 04:33 PM)
Quote:
Hi everybody. I'm new here and look forward to getting to know everyone. I have a current problem that I have been unable to find the answer to. I need to know what the termnal callouts are for the camshaft position sensor on a 2003 accent. One is the power, another the ground and the third is the signal. If anyone can provide me with this information and include orientation of either looking onto the harness plug or looking into the sensor receptical. I would appreciate it very much. Have checked the Hyundai service site but was unable to determine if I was looking at the correct information.

Thanks
Machineguy
Although this isn't quite what you asked for, it should help:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Accent_Cam_Sensor_1.JPG (135.8 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg Accent_Cam_Sensor_2.JPG (97.0 KB, 113 views)
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2010, 10:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2
Trooperguy
Unhappy

QUOTE (Alfons @ Dec 12 2010, 05:49 PM)
Quote:
Although this isn't quite what you asked for, it should help:

Thanks, this does give me a start. Wished I had an oscilloscope then I could make sure it was right. That is after I figured out how to hook it up. I'm concerned about damaging it if it is hooked up wrong. Also when I get my new stand alone computer (MegasquirtIII) wired up, I'm thinking that if it's wrong it could take me forever to figure it out as that. I'm intimadated by the whole process anyway.

Machineguy
Trooperguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2010, 07:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 448
Alfons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

QUOTE (machineguy @ Dec 13 2010, 10:59 AM)
Quote:
Thanks, this does give me a start. Wished I had an oscilloscope then I could make sure it was right. That is after I figured out how to hook it up. I'm concerned about damaging it if it is hooked up wrong. Also when I get my new stand alone computer (MegasquirtIII) wired up, I'm thinking that if it's wrong it could take me forever to figure it out as that. I'm intimadated by the whole process anyway.

Machineguy
I think you're making a mountain out of a mole-hill, parts replacement shouldn't need anything like an oscilloscope. Changing a cam position sensor (and most of all the others where positioning means something) should be a simple, logical process, and unless you use something untoward like a hammer, you shouldn't be afraid of damaging a sensor through normal handling & "wrenching" (there are very few that you could consider "delicate"). If you're looking at testing a sensor, most of the sensors I've seen have simple tests developed for them that you can do with a multi-meter - a computer in the test loop is useful, but in my opinion, only after you have fully understood how that sensor works & how it inter-relates with the entire engine as a system, otherwise that computer can paint an overly complicated picture, making the whole engine control process incomprehensible.
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2011, 12:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1
jchristensen07
Default

I just replaced my Camshaft sensor in my 2005 Accent for OBD code P0340...hopefully the attached image will help...
[attachment=27601:2005_hyu...E_P0340_.jpg]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2005_hyundau_camshaft_sensor_OBD_CODE_P0340_.jpg (156.4 KB, 122 views)
jchristensen07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:42 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.