Help please, gear grinding in neutral and park. - Page 2 - Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum

Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Hyundai-Forums.com is the premier Hyundai Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2013, 12:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 106
aqua33V6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourwd1 View Post
You don't "break in gears" in an auto trans.
And on things that you do want to "break in" gears on (like a differential), you sure don't do it that way.
I know this.

I fashion my replies around the legitimacy of the statements or questions I'm responding to. Customized service to meet your needs.
aqua33V6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-19-2013, 01:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Sequoiasoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, New York
'07 Sonata 2.4L GLS 5 speed manual
Posts: 844
Sequoiasoon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

When was your '09 put into service? March of -08 or later you'd still be in 5 year and your under the 60k.
Sequoiasoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 01:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Stevenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cape Coral/Florida/USA
Drives 2009 Sonata GLS and loves it!
Posts: 24
Stevenix is an unknown quantity at this point
Garage
Default Just missed warranty....

Yeah, it seems reasonable that if it is a 2009 it is still under the 5 year portion of the warranty, right? My car was built Feb. 13, 2008, and was first Placed In Service on March 14, 2008. I just missed the warranty period by a couple of days (the problem first occurred on March 16)!

The problem repeated itself on SIX tries to start or restart over a 2 hour period. On a good note, since I have changed the A/T fluid it has been flawless for about 20 starts/restarts over the past 2 days!

I will follow up with any problems I encounter, but for now, let's put this thread to bed and make the assumption that everything is now working properly unless I revive it. Thank you all for your contributions to this problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequoiasoon View Post
When was your '09 put into service? March of -08 or later you'd still be in 5 year and your under the 60k.
Stevenix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 03:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Colorado
2003 2.7 Santa Fe 2001 3.0 Z3
Posts: 1,248
johnaauld is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenix View Post
Yeah, it seems reasonable that if it is a 2009 it is still under the 5 year portion of the warranty, right? My car was built Feb. 13, 2008, and was first Placed In Service on March 14, 2008. I just missed the warranty period by a couple of days (the problem first occurred on March 16)!

The problem repeated itself on SIX tries to start or restart over a 2 hour period. On a good note, since I have changed the A/T fluid it has been flawless for about 20 starts/restarts over the past 2 days!

I will follow up with any problems I encounter, but for now, let's put this thread to bed and make the assumption that everything is now working properly unless I revive it. Thank you all for your contributions to this problem.
If I had that kind of trouble with my trany, I'd do at least one more dump. Couldn't cost more than $30 or so.
johnaauld is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 08:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: memphis
2008 sonotaV6 AUTO 1989 240SX Old people owned Rip 7 previous 240s
Posts: 4
zenki_style is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Make sure you are not parked on a hill. For whatever reason my transmison jumps and shudders "as close as I could call an auto grinding" when going from park to drive after having parked on a hill

I believe it has something to do with the parking gear itself Idont 100 percent understand the mechanics behind automatic transmissions but it has to do with the part that keeps your car from moving in park it seems hills stress this part highly,and wind up causing a gear grinding like affect.

I just don't park on an incline with the nose of the car higher than the rear bumper. It never happend with the rear bumper higher than the front.
zenki_style is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 08:40 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ActionMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mile High, Colorado
2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.4L I4 AT - Slate Blue
Posts: 1,084
ActionMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

The parking pawl can get jammed if you park on an incline without using the parking brake. Ideally when one parks on an incline, one should turn the wheels, towards the curb when facing downhill, away from the curb when facing uphill, and then engage the parking brake before shifting into Park. This will prevent the parking pawl from engaging and thus potentially getting jammed and if for some reason the parking brake fails, the vehicle will roll into the curb instead down the incline.
__________________

Vehicles Owned:
  • 2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS
  • 2001 Saturn L200
  • 1986 Saab 900 Turbo
  • 1979 Datsun 210
  • 1973 Mercury Montego
ActionMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Stevenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cape Coral/Florida/USA
Drives 2009 Sonata GLS and loves it!
Posts: 24
Stevenix is an unknown quantity at this point
Garage
Default Follow up and problem determination.....

A few weeks after I changed the A/T fluid, and having been problem free the whole time, the problem started again, grinding in Park and Neutral. When I was getting ready to start the car, someone was talking to me from outside the car and I didn't turn the key all the way to start, but the starter started turning the engine over and it started. And again, the grinding noise. I turned the key quickly to start and released and the noise stopped.

The problem was in the key assembly. I took some electrical lubricant and sprayed it into the key hole, put the key in, and started and turned off the engine several times, to work the lubricant in.

So, once again, after several weeks of no problem, it appears that the problem has been fixed. The "grinding" was not in the A/T, but in the starter motor somehow being activated when in Park or Neutral.

I'm sure the dealer would have wanted to replace the whole key assembly at mucho $$$$$.
Stevenix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2013, 08:41 PM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Colorado
2003 2.7 Santa Fe 2001 3.0 Z3
Posts: 1,248
johnaauld is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenix View Post
A few weeks after I changed the A/T fluid, and having been problem free the whole time, the problem started again, grinding in Park and Neutral. When I was getting ready to start the car, someone was talking to me from outside the car and I didn't turn the key all the way to start, but the starter started turning the engine over and it started. And again, the grinding noise. I turned the key quickly to start and released and the noise stopped.

The problem was in the key assembly. I took some electrical lubricant and sprayed it into the key hole, put the key in, and started and turned off the engine several times, to work the lubricant in.

So, once again, after several weeks of no problem, it appears that the problem has been fixed. The "grinding" was not in the A/T, but in the starter motor somehow being activated when in Park or Neutral.

I'm sure the dealer would have wanted to replace the whole key assembly at mucho $$$$$.
Glad to see you fixed the problem and that you came back here to give a resolution to your problem. So many posts have open threads here.
johnaauld is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:27 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.