Socket Size - Hub Nut - Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum

Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Hyundai-Forums.com is the premier Hyundai Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2009, 02:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4
tsmorty
Default

Hey Guys,
I have a quick question. What is the right Socket size for the hub nut on a Hyundai Elantra 1999. I don't have one big enough and am going to have to purchase one but if someone already knows that would be great instead of me having to guess and play the return game.
Also I noticed someone mentioning not using an impact wrench so I don't cause a problem with the CV joint. If I am replacing the whole CV joint would that be fine?
Also in the Haynes manual it mentions draining the Transaxle fluid, do you guys recommend that and if so how much should I grab from the dealer so I am good again?
Thanks
Todd
tsmorty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-07-2009, 04:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 470
EdGasket
Default

not sure of socket size; just measure across flats in mm.
Should not be a problem using an impact wrench; thats what I used and I reused the CV joint. Its fixed by the splines in the hub anyway.
The reason for draining the gearbox oil is because when you remove the drive shaft at the gearbox end, oil will leak out. I personally don't bother draining the oil, just let the oil leak into a pan when you remove the shaft; then just top up after you replace it. That way I think you will only need a litre, if that.
EdGasket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2009, 05:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4
tsmorty
Default

QUOTE (EdGasket @ Aug 7 2009, 02:45 PM)
Quote:
not sure of socket size; just measure across flats in mm.
Should not be a problem using an impact wrench; thats what I used and I reused the CV joint. Its fixed by the splines in the hub anyway.
The reason for draining the gearbox oil is because when you remove the drive shaft at the gearbox end, oil will leak out. I personally don't bother draining the oil, just let the oil leak into a pan when you remove the shaft; then just top up after you replace it. That way I think you will only need a litre, if that.
Thanks Ed, Went down the the local Napa and pulled off my tire, they then let me try out some sockets till I found the right one. Apparently a pretty standard size for hub nuts. 32mm. I am going to try using a breaker bar tonight and if that doesn't work run into the rental place tomorrow and grab the impact wrench. I'll do what you said and not drain it and grab just a Liter.(although I don't know the last time that stuff was replaced) I may drain and replace later, when I have more time and money.
tsmorty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2009, 03:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 470
EdGasket
Default

Are you replacing the whole drive shaft or just the outer CV joint? If the latter, I would be interested to know if it just knocks off the shaft (i.e. held by a spring clip ?
When removing the drive shaft, I found it much easier to remove the bolt and nuts that hold the lower suspension arm to the subframe than trying to seperate the lower ball joint. If you do this then you don't even need to seperate the steering arm balljoint; just remove the roll-bar tie link and put the steering on full lock and you should be able to manouvre out the drive shaft. Hope this helps.
EdGasket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2009, 08:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4
tsmorty
Default

QUOTE (EdGasket @ Aug 8 2009, 01:13 PM)
Quote:
Are you replacing the whole drive shaft or just the outer CV joint? If the latter, I would be interested to know if it just knocks off the shaft (i.e. held by a spring clip ?
When removing the drive shaft, I found it much easier to remove the bolt and nuts that hold the lower suspension arm to the subframe than trying to seperate the lower ball joint. If you do this then you don't even need to seperate the steering arm balljoint; just remove the roll-bar tie link and put the steering on full lock and you should be able to manouvre out the drive shaft. Hope this helps.
Thanks I will have to try that if I have to do it again. I bought a Ball Joint Seperator and after breaking the mechanical weld, I could seperate the 2 pushing down with a bar on the control arm. Wasn't too bad. Although your way would have saved me the money on the tool. Appreciate the help. No Oil came out although I changed it on a slant. I think I will try and change the transmission fluid next week. Any idea how much fluid it would take to do it all?
Thanks
Todd
tsmorty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2009, 08:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 470
EdGasket
Default

Did the CV joint knock-off the drive shaft?
In a manual transaxle the oil capacity is 2 litres. Guess yours is an auto-box and I'm afraid I don't know but its considerably more.
EdGasket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2009, 11:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4
tsmorty
Default

QUOTE (EdGasket @ Aug 10 2009, 06:22 AM)
Quote:
Did the CV joint knock-off the drive shaft?
In a manual transaxle the oil capacity is 2 litres. Guess yours is an auto-box and I'm afraid I don't know but its considerably more.
The Joint did pull off the axle but I had a replacement for the whole thing so I wasn't worried, I am pretty sure I could have gotten it out without pulling the Joint off the Axle if I had tried.
I'll look in my manual and If I can't find anything then I will grab 2 liters and if that isn't enough I will grab some more. I'll post here what mine is. Yeah I have an auto tranny. Wife can't drive stick, actually better stated wife won't drive stick.
tsmorty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:39 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.